The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - not sure exactly where this belongs with the forum, so mods feel free to move it to a more appropriate place :)

I recently purchased renter's insurance (and better car insurance), and upon realizing how much stuff I actually own and how much $$$ it actually totals to, I figured it's about time to try to create a running list of everything I own, just in case. Well, I'm already over 50 items just in horse stuff, and I want to know if there is a better way to do it!

Some of the big buck items that are still being sold are pretty easy to find their replacement cost, but how am I supposed to attach a replacement cost to a Rembrandt dressage saddle that is no longer sold new? Or a discontinued Collegiate saddle model? The name-brand Myler and Parelli items have been easy to find, but what about a pair of hard-shell jump boots I bought from a local tack store 10 years ago?

I attached a picture of my current system, and am more than open to critiques and suggestions. I've never lived in a 'higher-crime' area and want to make sure that my items are protected in case my house or car are ever broke into.

Also - how do you protect your stuff? I grew up in an area where no one locked their homes or cars, and now I'm living in an area where crime is clearly happening around me. Thanks bunches everyone!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,033 Posts
I do like you did and make an inventory list.

I also have a filter on my computer with photos of rooms with the furniture. And, since I have some power tools I have photos of them in the garage and listing of the serial numbers.

It's tedious to do. Easy to not update when needed. But very with it if you have a theft or fire.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
I do the same as boots. Photos (groupings) that are labeled (tagged) so I have proof at least it was here. That goes with the list which is grouped as well. Under a certain value I don't bother. As for replacement cost I went by what I could find used and located a comparable new item and made notes of both.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I don't think the replacement cost needs to be recorded. In the case of theft or fire they are not going to give you full replacement cost. They are going to want to know the age of the item and that is what the reimbursement will be based upon. That is unless you are paying for replacement cost in your insurance policy. We put a rider on our horse trailer (where all of my tack is stored) to cover the cost of the big ticket items like the saddles. for the bridles etc we lumped them into one group and one price. Listing them all especially at a $70 or $50 cost is not going to help as replacement cost for an item of similar age could be $25 or $30 dollars.

Before you go to all of the work logging all of your tack make sure to talk to your insurance agent and ask what they will require if you ever have to file a claim? Or how your tack will be covered etc.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you go to all of the work logging all of your tack make sure to talk to your insurance agent and ask what they will require if you ever have to file a claim? Or how your tack will be covered etc.
I will be meeting with my insurance agent as soon as my state lockdown ends - unfortunately my policy was started with a quick phone call as I was moving into my new house and I didn't get to ask the questions I wanted.

However, reading through my policy (or trying to...), in order to dispute any of the values they place on my items if something happens, I need the actual cash value and the replacement cost.

The policy states that they will pay the "actual cash value" until the item is actually replaced, and then they will pay the difference between that cost and the actual cost to replace the item. So I think you may be right on not worrying about the cost :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do the same as boots. Photos (groupings) that are labeled (tagged) so I have proof at least it was here. That goes with the list which is grouped as well. Under a certain value I don't bother. As for replacement cost I went by what I could find used and located a comparable new item and made notes of both.

I will have to take pictures of tack and add them in! Based off of my police that I attempted to understand, I will need to know the actual value of each item and then the replacement costs.

From what I understand with my Rembrandt Dressage Saddle that I got at a steal for $350, they will pay me that $350. When I find a replacement for it that will be around $700-1200 for a similar model and quality, they will pay the difference. Never knew that!

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
The pictures help for if stolen. In the case of saddles or bridles(mainly because of the bit) that are over a set amount I have multiple photos with any identifying marks or info recorded. Saddles should have a makers mark and model and in some a serial number. All of that is photographed and tagged.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a chart very similar to yours. It has the item name, what the item is (bridle, bit, etc), replacement cost, a photo, the size of the item, and a website where I can buy the item.

I also have a basic list in my trailer.
For example:
~4 western bridles
~3 racing saddle pads
~4 pairs of polo wraps
~1 pair of split reins
And so on and so on. I am just putting in random numbers with the things I am certain I have.

·
Super Moderator
14,686 Posts
So all of these lists and due diligence is fantastic...
That said, don't keep it in the house or trailer cause it does you no good if stolen or destroyed.
Make a anonymous file kept in a computer email location folder and store the information.
Regardless of what computer, phone or device you use your information is retrievable easily.
If you are doing "paper" lists then to me they belong in a safe-deposit box secured not in your home/trailer or with loss there went your proof. :frown_color:
:runninghorse2:...

Reactions: boots
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.