The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ken McNabb will be in our town tomorrow and Wednesday. I'm so excited! I am hoping I get alot of video, pictures and hopefully get to meet him.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I watch him on RFD from time to time. He's a member of the Horse & Rider magazine team now.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I met Ken McNabb at the Equine Affair in Springfield Mass this past November. He is much taller then he appears on RFD TV and he is very much a gentleman. Hope you are able to meet him.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today was the day for the colt starting seminar with Ken McNabb!! It was amazing. I had so much fun. The only thing I was upset about is the battery in my camcorder died before the end. At the end, I got to meet Ken, shake his hand and get his autograph. I chickened out on asking for a photo with him. (hopefully tomorrow I will be brave enough.) I was completely star struck and felt like a moron for wanting to sit around with him talking horses for the rest of the afternoon. <sigh> Honestly..it was just amazing and I can't remember when I enjoyed myself so much. I'm really looking forward to his seminar tomorrow. Ps. Ken says he's got a show on RFDTV coming out about a 13 yr old horse he broke named Oliver (I believe)...plus he's going to be part of 2010's Road to the horse Challenge! (I asked, lol)

Ken was given a 2 yr old colt to work with. This colt hadn't been handled alot and gave Ken quite the challenge, which Ken was happy to embrace. Without further ado, here are the pics. Hopefully I get them in order:

The horse

Ken giving the introduction

Ken roped the colt because he kept trying to jump the panels. Ken would use the rope to pull the colt towards Ken to get his attention each time he looked towards the outside of the panels.

Ken getting the colt use to being touch. Each time the colt would stop moving his feet, Ken would release the pressure and allow the colt to stand.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Getting him use to the feel of something around his girth area.

Introducing the saddle pad.

Ken allowing the colt to stand with the blanket on.

Introducing the saddle.

The colt is froze up. Hasn't moved yet.

The colt after Ken asked for movement with the saddle on. (sorry for the woman in the second photo.)

Saddled and getting use to the feel of a rope around his legs.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ken asking for change of direction.

intro the bit

intro to weight in stirrups

in the saddle

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did I mention I had an amazing time and that I was probably a moron when I met Ken. He shook my hand and I honestly didn't want to take my hand out of his I was so in awe. <sigh> I'm 36...I should know better than this. I am so looking forward to tomorrow. I will share pics of his session tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Absolutely no comments? :( Oh well, No need to post the picture of Ken and I.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
He was on the horse in less than 2 hrs. (I say "on" instead of ride because although the horse took some steps back and forth around the pen, I don't necessarily consider that a ride.) Today he did an extra follow up on the colt and he did some more ground work and then was able to get in the saddle and actually ride around the pen. The colt took everything real well and in stride.

This morning I got to see him do some work on an older horse. He showed side stepping/passing, rollbacks, how to get a good, solid, stop. I enjoyed this session almost as much as the colt starting one.

Here is the picture of Ken and I. Unfortunately, he chose that moment to blink. Oh well. I had an amazing time...and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
LOLOLOL That's about how goofy he was when we met him! That's lolarious XD "HAI. U can haz klinic peekturz."

I met Ken McNabb at the Equine Affair in Springfield Mass this past November. He is much taller then he appears on RFD TV and he is very much a gentleman.
You think so?! I thought he was really short when I saw him! But definitely a down to earth, nice guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts