The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Kennedy Space Center with my dad and step mom. It was a blast! Haha

Rocket Garden (all are completely functional rockets)

Shuttle Launch Site

Ares Rocket Launch Site

Tour Bus!

It was a polite bus.

My favorite part of the whole day. The crawler transport was up and running, bring back the launch pad from the previous launch. The one of the only pieces of machinery that hasn't changed since the first rocket was launched into space. Empty, it weighs 6million tons and goes a max of 2mph. It takes roughly 8+ hours for it to get the shuttle to the launch site.

Shuttle goes here!

The crawler has 8 tracks. Each track has 57 "shoes". Each shoe weights just under 2 tons a piece.

Our tour bus drove under the launch pad that the crawler was carrying!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Space shuttle engine

Inside the bottom of the engine

The Vehicle Assembly Building. Its the worlds largest single story building. It was originally built to accommodate the Saturn V rocket.

These gray bars down the sides are actually doors to allow shuttles and rockets in and out for assembly prior to launching.

It takes 45minutes for the doors to completely open. They had just started when we were driving by

The Saturn V Rocket. It was/ still is the largest rocket ever created.

I couldn't fit the whole thing into one frame

Connector numbah 1

Connector numbah 2

Inside one of the Saturn V's engines

A tree outside!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size reference for the Saturn V

Allen Shepard's Corvette

The original consoles used during the Apollo 13's launch. It was my favorite show.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
:) Wow, the place has changed quite a bit since I was last there!

Isn't it such an awestruck feeling seeing something so huge as the crawler moving right in front of you? :D

·
Super Moderator
22,680 Posts
Looks like a lots of fun! I bet it'd be neat to visit at a space center some day.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
:shock: phenomenal pictures! thank you so much for taking all the time to share those pictures. Must have been so neat to be there! Loved them!!

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
My older brother Terry works there. Wonder if he was on the crawler the day you were there?

He worked on the shuttle for years, and they transferred him to the crawler about 5 years ago.

He's been there since he was in his late 20s, and loves the job.

He's always e-mailing us cool pictures of the place and the shuttles. Glad you had a good time.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Yep Pinto, he sends us pictures of inside the shuttle, shuttle building, and crawler, and things that the tourists don't normally get to see.

He also sends some amazing pictures when they're in space, as well as the shuttle coming home on the back of a jet.

I've never been there, but I could probably find my way around just because of all the pictures I've seen! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.