The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My KMSH gaited for the first 6 months we owned her and is now out of gait... being that there aren't very many KMSH trainers in New York, does anyone suggest how to get her back into gaiting? She does not have any health issues, never lame, very sure-footed...

·
Registered
256 Posts
What kind of bit are you riding her in? What is she doing now instead of her 4 beat? Trot? Pace? Have you changed anything since the last time when she was gaiting?

Nate

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm afraid I can't give you any advise, I have gaited horses Miss Foxtrotter and she will realy take off sometimes and she is playing with the bit a lot, so I am thinking about changing the bit.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
My KMSH gaited for the first 6 months we owned her and is now out of gait... being that there aren't very many KMSH trainers in New York, does anyone suggest how to get her back into gaiting? She does not have any health issues, never lame, very sure-footed...
The horse doesn't have to be lame to have skeletal issues. Before changing bits, re-training, etc. have a good equine chiropractor look at her.

When my young TWH suddenly could hold his gait under saddle for more than 30', I had the chiropractor out.

Turns out his Atlas bone and sacrum both needed adjusted. After a week of rest, he was back to his beautiful running walk and classis head-bob.

Once you're sure there are no skeletal issues, then if the horse won't gait, look at the possibility the rider might be doing wrong, look at the bit, look at the saddle fit.

Some horses will gait if they only have three legs; others are like the Princess and the Pea story and will quit gaiting if one little thing about the rider, bit, saddle, trimming, shoes, etc. changes.

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Has your horse been ridden much through the winter? If they are out of shape it makes it much harder for them to maintain the gait consistently.
Trotting or pacing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where are you located? I came across this thread searching for resources for another gaited client on Long Island. If you think you and your horse would benefit from help, I do train gaited horses.

-Kat

Katrin Boniface

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.