The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken in a kill pen horse - my wife adopted a paint yearling that we had to isolate for 3 months to get back to health (very sick-he thought about dying for a short time)
Riding him now as a two year old -nice as you please.

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
You have put money in the wrong pockets. Kill pens have a contract with meat producers for x amount of horse meat. The fact that you bought one off them for an inflated price does not reduce the number of horses sent to slaughter. Give your money instead to institutions that invest in rehabilitating horses for a new home - so they don't even end up in the kill line. Those are the ones who actually care for horses.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Done is done. I have not bought from a kill pen for the reason mmshiro states. I have bought from auction though as well as boarding a couple of rescue horses. All were nice horses and none were ill. Is there something specific you are trying to get at? Whether horses from kill pens are sick or just your wife's poor luck or that kill pen horses are somehow better than other horses?

Glad the horse overcame his illness and for you is turning out to be a nice riding horse. I think at two they still have some maturing to do before riding.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
@mmshiro but they saved THIS horse, and that is something. I am familiar with the arguments for and against, but saving a life is saving a life.
@Lazyfh good for you.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I know at the Missoula horse auction, the kill buyers bid against regular buyers for the loose horses. There is no contract, they are usually the first bidder to drop out as well on any given horse because they are only willing to pay a certain amount for any given horse. If nobody else bids they get a slaughter horse, if somebody else bids they don't. The bad thing is any horse you bring can end up going to a kill buyer if nobody else wants your horse. So, it pays to go and be there during your auction so you can no-sale the horse if a kill buyer does end being the highest bidder. One of the best roping horses I have ever met came from the loose horse sale down there. I think he cost $500 and was an unbroke 3 or 4 year old at the time. He has already had $12,000 won on him so far this spring team roping at one or two events. His lifetime earnings are going to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, if they aren't already there.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
@4horses and I know a lady who regularly frequents the kill pen websites and looks at the horses. She has a good eye for horseflesh and a 6th sense about the horses. When she comes across one that she thinks will be good, she gets it. These horses cost her about $500 including delivery. Then she works with them and finds them good homes. She usually doesn't charge any more than the money she paid for them. Her husband has brain cancer and isn't doing well. Getting these horses and placing them in loving homes is therapeutic for her.
@4horses ended up with one of her kill pen horses, a sweet gentle talented mare with a smooth fun fox trot and a glorious canter. We have long wondered how this good mare ended up in a kill pen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Beautiful horse! I’m glad he’s doing fine! Kill pen horses and the way slaughter animals are treated in general are all contenders to why I’m a vegetarian. What’s his name?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Aunt actually a few years ago rescued a horse in a very bad situation who was going to be sent to a slaughter house, husband name is Chance. He was severely abused and his living conditions were horrible. However, she got him back into great health. Ever since then she’s rescued probably about 7 or 8 more horses and their all so sweet.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Wow, he's a good looking horse! You did good!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all y’all-we call him Indio-it would be neat to know his history/genealogy-but he’s not talking
Riding him 3 times a week -30 minutes or so

·
Registered
383 Posts
I love Indio--he is gorgeous!!

This little cutie was just dumped off directly at a feedlot--she is still available for only $725. Well trained, safe advanced beginner's mount. Still at risk because she belongs to the feedlot owner even though she is being fostered by a rescue.

https://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-1251029

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Nice looking youngster.
Glad to read his riding time is limited at the age of 2.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts