The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned horses for over 30 years and during that time have trained my own and rehabbed a few others. In doing so, I don't generally go with what's most popular or with what I'm told but instead use a consensus method to my training choices when it comes to the safety and well being of any horse :)

Now that I am officially retired... I recently bailed a mare and filly from a KP. Both are doing well but I need to refresh my training regimen because like anything else, I know a lot has changed over the years. I joined a Down Under horsemanship program that mirrors a lot of what I learned years ago and am joining this forum to give me the ability to fine tune my own training methods.

I joined today after searching for the proper method and setup with regard to Cross Ties.
I've rarely used them when they were available at boarding facilities I ended up stuck in. And after seeing a few close calls,
I really had no need for them. Now that I have my own place and this COVID thing came up, my farrier insists that we maintain the protocols which I am fine with. He even came up with a lead line cross tie approach that works.. But now I'm finding maybe the cross ties might not be a bad idea considering I have a new mare and filly with little knowledge of their past.

The cross ties might actually be helpful while I am trying to figure the mare out while working with her, specifically when it comes to her rear end and back feet. She allows me to pick out her front feet without a need for haltering... But not so sure when it comes to the back. She was okay with me taking a temp, but didn't appreciate the Vet doing so maybe cross ties wouldn't be such a bad thing.... Problem is I have no experience or knowledge of them other than what I've seen and read about.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I think you will enjoy reading people's posts.

I can't give you any advice about cross ties since I don't like them and don't use them. They are probably OK. I've just seen some bad wrecks with them.

I got a rescue from Horse Protection Association of Florida once who was terrified in cross ties but just fine with one rope. I figure he must have been beaten in cross ties. He was taken away from his owner for cruelty, whatever that means. I had to agree to teach him to get used to cross ties, but since he hated them and was fine with one rope, I didn't get around to it. Finally, years later, he had to be in cross ties for some reason. He didn't worry at all. He was fine in cross ties.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would be cautious with using cross ties with a horse who is anxious about being handled. They are a great tool of course, however I would much prefer to have one on a lead, not tied, to work with feet. I say this because i can easily move them and correct them without them associating or becoming claustrophobic and panicking. If need be start with a carrot stick and string then to a soft rope and eventually your hand. Many horses will be fine with owners handling but can be weird about vets. Again I don’t believe cross ties will help with this

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Welcome!

I am not personally a fan of crossties. They seem so restrictive and uncomfortable. When I need to work on my guys and need them to stay still, I just tie them with the one lead rope. FWIW.

Enjoy your new project(s) -- I'm sure it will be rewarding!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi 👋

I believe we may have a similar style! Have you looked into Buck Brannaman much at all? He has the personality of a brick, but is also tremendously handy.

Now... I’m definitely not a horse guru. In my short experience I find training my horses to cross tie is not much different than training to hard tie. I like mine to learn how to stand quietly ground tied first. And then of course if they do fidget / lean into the cross ties, have the confidence and experience to quietly give to the pressure for release.

I’ve seen a good many horses break cross ties. Working on feet, I’d say it happens maybe once every other week. The biggest life saver in my personal experience is having some sort of (safe) break-away in place. I've seen more wrecks that involved ties that didn't break free. Likewise I have a friend that was knocked out by a projectile clip once it did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same reservations with regard to the cross ties as you all do due to the bad situations I've seen unfold with other people and their horses. She is settling in somewhat and can be skittish at times so I am a bit hesitant with the thought of using them.

I love the input, Thank you!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Hello and welcome from a lifelong trail rider:)

Adding my “no” vote to cross tieing for anything but teaching the horse a little discipline and possibly while doing a quick a grooming.

All of my horses learned the drill but nobody’s been in cross ties since 1997:). They stand just fine with the rope thrown over the fence, dropped to the ground, or me holding them to receive professional care.

Never on this earth would I crosstie a horse for the farrier. Wouldn’t do it for the vet either:)

This is my onery fella who, at 26, STILL occasionally says “no” just to say it. That’s the farrier trimming him. It takes a lot of patience and work to get a horse to this point and even so, he isn’t always inclined to this stellar behavior, lollol

6DDE3095-77A2-4A0E-81F6-E8968D5D9E64.jpg

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
What @walkinthewalk describes is my ultimate goal, as well. This last time the trimmer came, I was working with him and had no one to hold the horses, so I decided to see how it would go just asking them to stand (not tied). One of them (Moonshine) was fine, she just stood there the whole time basically rolling her eyes at how slow I was going. Another, Teddy, the anxious horse, made it through two feet with no problem, then I had to hold him while the trimmer did the other.s Pony mostly did OK.

I think being able to trust your horses to stand there, patiently, without being tied, no matter who is doing what to the, would be everyone's ideal. It's something to work toward, for sure, even if we never quite get to that point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts