The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tendency for varied interests and just came across a video of the greatest sport I could ever aspire to! I have been taking eventing lessons for many years by now and have been driving horses for 8 years. I have plans on my current horse to both drive and jump for me. As it happens, I also rollerblade. Mostly commuting and running with my dog. Today, I discovered Kjoering.

Jumping horses, driving horses, and rollerblading all rolled into one outstanding sport!

·
Super Moderator
15,272 Posts
Wow!!!

Can I say splat!! That would be me...face-plant in the horses butt if he stopped and I didn't.

Quite a skill, trust factor and test for all participants.
Looks like fun...but for another braver than I.
:lol:

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
The same kind of thing was really popular in Colorado about 40 years ago. I do not know if they still do it. It was done in the winter on snow and ice with stock saddles, a ski tow rope dallied to the saddle horn and a person being towed on skis. It was called 'Skijouring' and supposedly came from Sweden and Norway.

Some of the skiers even used driving lines and skied behind running horses without riders. If was a real hoot.

The horses wore cleated shoes or shoes drilled out with spikes screwed in. They raced down main street in Steamboat Springs during a winter festival. They had really big races in Leadville Colorado every year. That town is over 10,000 feet above sea level -- almost at timber line. They ran races like that in several mountain towns. The horses did not jump, but the skiers had some pretty big jumps and slalom courses.

We tried it on a big irrigation canal. We ran the horse along the edge of the canal on the ditch-rider's road with a guy on water skis on the canal. We had to stay between two bridges. The horses really got into it. I never skied but rode a lot of horses doing it.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I'm so tempted to teach charlie lol. But I think I would get gassed in the face WAY too much...he's jet powered lol

Looks awesome though

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The same kind of thing was really popular in Colorado about 40 years ago. I do not know if they still do it. It was done in the winter on snow and ice with stock saddles, a ski tow rope dallied to the saddle horn and a person being towed on skis. It was called 'Skijouring' and supposedly came from Sweden and Norway.

The horses wore cleated shoes or shoes drilled out with spikes screwed in. They raced down main street in Steamboat Springs during a winter festival. They had really big races in Leadville Colorado every year. That town is over 10,000 feet above sea level -- almost at timber line. They ran races like that in several mountain towns. The horses did not jump, but the skiers had some pretty big jumps and slalom courses.
Yep, I'd heard of Skijouring many years ago, it is done with horses or sled dogs, though I'd never seen any with jumps and slalom courses at all, just cross country skiing on the flat or hills. I live in Texas, so that was out. But this is definitely doable.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yep, I'd heard of Skijouring many years ago, it is done with horses or sled dogs...
You can do it with pretty much any medium to large dog, if they like to run. I do it with my Border Collie/Aussie mix, and if we ever get snow this year, will add in the Plott hound (or mutt, depending on who you ask). No reason you couldn't do it with a horse, though you'd want a longer rope.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Skijouring is still pretty big in my area. Up north in Sandpoint, ID the fair grounds host an annual event.

The only problem with this year I think, is the snow. We havent had a lot, but then again, Sandpoint tends to get hit with the white stuff a little more than where I'm at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.