The Horse Forum banner

Knee Braces

1330 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jaydee
So i've seen some people wearing knee braces after riding an di was wondering if any of you know what it is that they prevent and When your supposed to wear them? I have been looking it up but I can't seem to find anything.... So I hope you all can help me!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Quest is a 17.2hh chestnut OTTB gelding
49 Posts
I dunno, but once I had a fall, landed in a kind of a sitting position and strained my knee. I rode in a knee brace for two weeks and then a knee compression sleeve until it healed enough. It prevented too much flexion from my tendons and kept the swelling down.

· Registered
49 Posts
I should also mention that I used to get a little knee pain especially when jumping, but that because I hadn't yet developed proper form :) So many of my minor issues were alleviated when I started doing ab work on the mat.

· Registered
I have two horses, one paint gelding and one pregnant miniature mare.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno, but once I had a fall, landed in a kind of a sitting position and strained my knee. I rode in a knee brace for two weeks and then a knee compression sleeve until it healed enough. It prevented too much flexion from my tendons and kept the swelling down.
oh ok! I have been struggling with knee pain so I was trying to find one that would work for me! Thank you!

· Registered
255 Posts
The only warning I have with wearing a brace while riding is just be sure to only wear it while riding, and not any longer than you need to!

I had an orthopedic surgeon give me a wrist brace to ride in after a pretty gnarly break, but he very clearly instructed me to only wear it while riding. In his experience, constant brace wearing promotes stiffness and can greatly reduce flexibility over the long term which can do far more harm than good.

· Registered
49 Posts
Yes Ratlady has a great point. Only use it when you're riding. The joint needs to be exercised, but not stressed. If you're getting pain that's impacting you at all, you should definitely see your doctor! You can find some exercises online designed to build your muscle. This reduces stress to the joint itself.

· Administrator
37,357 Posts
Mod Note
Thread closed
This thread is nearly a year old now and the OP hasn’t been on the forum for 10 months

If the OP returns and would like to update the thread, please contact a moderator who will reopen it for you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.