The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! My SB gelding has an amazingly long tail, and I love it to pieces! But I'm forever brushing it! I swear I have to spend more time brushing his tail then I can riding him! So i was wondering if any of you have tips on how to keep it knot free, or at least less knotty. :p
I'll post a picture so you have an idea of the length thickness, there is a LOT of tail there. :D Haha.

Sorry about the contrast, silly camera reacts stupidly with sun!
Thankyou. :D

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I don't know about the summer, but in the fall/winter/spring I brush/braid/cowboy magic Soda's tail and put it in a bag. He loves burrs and manages to find them without fail. I don't know about the summer though, I don't know if a tail bag will work as well cuz I would like him to be able to use it to swat flies...

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Any kind of leave in conditioner or oil is going to make tail brushing easier. I use either MTG or a walmart human type hair oil (africa's best is a good brand) I think it helps keep it from tangling and makes brushing not so much of a chore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While my mare's tail is wet, I apply a good amount of Cowboy Magic. If you want a quick fix before you ride, ShowSheen helps keep is soft and helps avid tangles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Brush it, braid it and stick it in a tail bag. You don't have to put anything in it as far as hair products, just make sure you take it out everyday and brush it because Shaving some how find there way into the bag and tail.. But if you want, put some sort of detangling spray or oil and leave it for a couple of days at a time. I heard of people using tailbags in the summer that extend so the horses are able to swat flies, you'll have to look into that though..
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The more the tail is brushed the more hair will fall out IMO- I really only will brush after I have washed it and let it hair dry (this is usually only before shows)

but otherwise putting in leave in conditioners should help

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
The more the tail is brushed the more hair will fall out IMO- I really only will brush after I have washed it and let it hair dry (this is usually only before shows)
Same here. I rarely touch the manes or tails of my horses. Ok - except the yellow horses. They have to have tails washed more frequently!

If you use fly spray, keep the horse wormed, private areas clean - the horse is less apt to itch and break the top hairs off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah I would definatly put it in a braid, it usually helps immensly. Even if you dont put it in a tail bag.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I found that using Pantene Pro-V Ice Shine conditioner SERIOUSLY helped with Samson's tail. Use that and braid it and it should stay soft for days. It worked on my halfies tail anyway and he had PLENTY of tail! Not to mention it makes it nice and shiney =D

After washing his tail, I'll put the conditioner in and then leave it for a few minutes (usually while I'm washing his mane). Then i'll rinse it off (while letting the conditioner set into the mane). =D It makes their tails really slick though so be sure to rinse extra well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts