The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a barn where I also work with a mare. She's about 14 hands, 12 years old.
I've noticed quite a few alarming issues:
1. She stumbles and trips frequently, she also fell 2 times, and took her good 2 min to get up ( I said frequently but would say it happenes on average 1 or 2 times per session, she only falls when she has extra weight on her).
2. Her lower lip is always hanging
3. She just seems she has no energy in her, also looks a bit underweight
Otherwise she eats and drinks normally.

Owner says she's just lazy and I can't convince him to call a vet, trust me I tried... So I'm writing you if ANYONE has any advice at all that I could try and make her better... I've also heard low potassium can cause this? Maybe electrolite supplement?
Also: those issues are present for a very long time, long before I even came to the barn so I would say 4+ years.

Thanks everyone.

Super Moderator
There is nothing you can do without the owners permission given....
The owner being in denial is sad...

Sadly, the horse sounds to be in trouble and with what you write of be careful handling her she not go down on top of you.
Do not ride the horse as it is a safety issue obviously...

Does the barn owner own the horse?
You could speak with your boss if they are not the same as horse owner and ask if there is anything they can do to intervene You as a employee/worker could be hurt if she falls with you next to her tending to her as is your job.
馃惔...

Registered
Owner says she's just lazy and I can't convince him to call a vet, trust me I tried... So I'm writing you if ANYONE has any advice at all that I could try and make her better.
My guess is either something neurological is wrong, or she has some severe problems in her neck. That will cause stumbling and falling.

Unfortunately, if you can't get the owner to call a vet, there's nothing you can do. Poor horse.

If this horse owned by another boarder?
Are you riding this horse?

Agree to horselovingguy above that you should bring up the LIABILITY issue of this horse. It's obviously a known issue (because everyone knows it). What if this horse falls with someone or falls on someone? That's a negligent law suite waiting to happen.

Reactions: ACinATX

Registered
18y/o 15.3hh purebred registered morgan mare trueblack with star, 12yo blood bay warmblood mare 17hh
Um maybe try giving her extra minerals like a mineral block in her stall or paddock or like half a scoop of pro fibre crunch or grain with her feed in the after noon. Of course only if the owner allows it.

Registered
Tripping can be caused by toes being too long, for one, and more importantly, can be caused by pain in the back of the foot.. Heel pain may be caused by a bad case of thrush, or assorted internal issues, such as navicular syndrome. A horse that moves correctly will typically land heel first, then roll over the toe and lift the foot off the ground. It is also common for a horse that is walking to land flat. Only a horse walking uphill should typically land toe first. A horse that has pain in the back of the foot will avoid landing on the heel and stab the toe into the ground first, which can result in a trip. Long toes delay the breakover too much. If her feet are in bad shape, these are prime concerns. Makes me crazy when people blame tripping horses on laziness. I don't think too many horses are so lazy that they'll allow themselves to fall on their faces deliberately. If you can watch the horse move, perhaps on a lunge line, you should be able to observe any toe first landing.

As for potassium, I wouldn't worry too much. Grasses tend to "accumulate" potassium and it's more likely to have too much than too little, IMO. If the hay being fed has been fertilized, one of the prime ingredients in the fertilizer will be potassium. Good luck with this poor horse.

Registered
Trimmed a ton of lame and hoof neglected horses, I've never seen one that routinely fell as a result. Feet could certainly be a factor but I would be more inclined to think neurological.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for replies. I'm not riding her, usually kids did but when she fell with one while riding she's been basically on pasture day and night, because I refuse to work with her in that condition.

Hooves are taken care. I keep en eye on how she steps though.
I guess I'll try with minerals and electrolytes. Can't hurt..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is nothing you can do without the owners permission given....
The owner being in denial is sad...

Sadly, the horse sounds to be in trouble and with what you write of be careful handling her she not go down on top of you.
Do not ride the horse as it is a safety issue obviously...

Does the barn owner own the horse?
You could speak with your boss if they are not the same as horse owner and ask if there is anything they can do to intervene You as a employee/worker could be hurt if she falls with you next to her tending to her as is your job.
馃惔...
Yes barn owner is also horse owner.

Super Moderator
Then you need to watch your p's & q's what you say, what you do, the finger you point...
Mostly, since this person owns the animal, owns the facility and is your boss....
If you value your job you approach this carefully.
You have the right to voice you have concerns for the horses safety. More your safety...
When she falls, trips or whatever it is referred to as you are a barn worker and muck stalls, feed and do t/o, then you are in direct contact with, handling the horse often you would not like to be caught with the horse landing on you...

The more you describe sounds to be neurologic and if the owner will not retire and stop using the animal, then maybe she should be euthanized before she goes down and hurts if not kill the rider astride as you said extra weight she carries = rider.

You have reason to be concerned for your safety.
Under no circumstance do you get astride and I would even be cautious of tacking the animal for someone in case of a injury you are not named as enabler or accomplice to using a known animal unsafe...
If you can not distance yourself from the animals care and fear for your safety...resign/quit and find another place to work and ride at.
You do not need to be connected to this place knowing how the owner cares for her animals..
馃惔...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts