The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a barn where I also work with a mare. She's about 14 hands, 12 years old.
I've noticed quite a few alarming issues:
1. She stumbles and trips frequently, she also fell 2 times, and took her good 2 min to get up ( I said frequently but would say it happenes on average 1 or 2 times per session, she only falls when she has extra weight on her).
2. Her lower lip is always hanging
3. She just seems she has no energy in her, also looks a bit underweight
Otherwise she eats and drinks normally.

Owner says she's just lazy and I can't convince him to call a vet, trust me I tried... So I'm writing you if ANYONE has any advice at all that I could try and make her better... I've also heard low potassium can cause this? Maybe electrolite supplement?
Also: those issues are present for a very long time, long before I even came to the barn so I would say 4+ years.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for replies. I'm not riding her, usually kids did but when she fell with one while riding she's been basically on pasture day and night, because I refuse to work with her in that condition.

Hooves are taken care. I keep en eye on how she steps though.
I guess I'll try with minerals and electrolytes. Can't hurt..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is nothing you can do without the owners permission given....
The owner being in denial is sad...

Sadly, the horse sounds to be in trouble and with what you write of be careful handling her she not go down on top of you.
Do not ride the horse as it is a safety issue obviously...

Does the barn owner own the horse?
You could speak with your boss if they are not the same as horse owner and ask if there is anything they can do to intervene You as a employee/worker could be hurt if she falls with you next to her tending to her as is your job.
🐴...
Yes barn owner is also horse owner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts