The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there 馃槉
I have recently purchased my second horse.
He is either refusing to canter or when he does canter on the left lead he is picking up the wrong lead. This is while I鈥檓 riding him or lunging him (Picks up the right straight away and perfectly)
I鈥檝e had a vet check and it came back positive to lameness on the left hid. He is getting treatment now for hock pain but I鈥檓 just curious if he has pain in his back left leg wouldn鈥檛 it be the right lead he would be struggling with as they push off with the opposite hind in the canter?
Really appreciate any comments/contribution to this topic.

*my first post 馃槉

Registered
They initiate the lead with the opposite hind, but they often lean toward and put more weight on the hind leg of the lead they are on. So depending on the phase of movement that makes the leg sore (flexion, extension, landing), either lead could be more painful.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine has lameness in the right stifle and problems showed in the right canter. It was the reaching forward and under that he couldn't do. Might be the hock, or could be something else. Sore hocks often cause sore stifles.
Ahh ok. Good to know. It鈥檚 weird he doesn鈥檛 show lameness in any other way except won鈥檛 pick that lead up and does a bit of a bunny hop. After vet check he failed flection on that left. It鈥檚 obviously hurting him :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts