The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my horses in the pasture early, before the grass started to grow, so pony won't have problems with eating too much - laminitis. They have almost nothing in their pasture now. My mare is more... hm... athletic-thin and she needs a lot of hay. But pony gets only small quantity of hay, because I'm afraid laminitis will get back. What should I do? I can't get the pasture in two parts, because it's small even now. They get meals three times a day (in the stable) but in between they are out.
(And pony is very greedy, doesn't know how to stop eating, so I'm terrified laminitis will come back if I give them free choice hay...)

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Get a grazing muzzle for the pony. Leave it on most of the time. You might be able to take it off for short periods when you are there and then put it back on. Fat pony will probably be able to get just enough grass and hay to get along ok but not enough to self destruct with her teeth.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm a fan of that idea ^^ Also, if you give free choice hay, you can cut back on the amount of food you give him- with him in the stall, you can be guarenteed he won't get any of the other horse's feed, and it will help her stay at a good weight if you give her the amount you are now, plus the hay. This is how I get my horses to a nice weight.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody :) I'm going to order grazing muzzle from internet, because I never saw something like that in our shops...

·
Banned
12,825 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's impossible solution :p If I give them low quality free choice hay then my mare won't gain on weight. If I give them high quality hay, then pony could get laminitis. I think a grazing muzzle it's quite good idea.
I do not disagree with this in general but in this case this pony needs to seriously lose some weight, now.
You think he is fat?
I don't think he is fat... His ribs are easily felt. Should I post some pictures from this year?

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
You think he is fat?
I don't think he is fat... His ribs are easily felt. Should I post some pictures from this year?
:oops: Oops, wrong thread, thinking of the thread with the really fat pony. Sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.