The Horse Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,148 Posts
First time I saw, "I need someone to float my horse to.....somewhere", I rolled on the floor. I had this silly visual of a horse with water wings on and little boat bumper floats tied under his middle, holding an umbrella drink, literally floating down a river.

Aussie that I just learned:

Dunny = toilet

I mentioned my horse named Dunny (she's a dun and when we first got her we called her Wart because she had juvenile warts so bad) and someone told me what it meant in Australia. Dunny wasn't amused, I started calling her Loo.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Actually, a dunny is a type of outdoor toilet, or a toilet that is separate from the main house/building. I don't know if anyone refers to a normal toilet as a dunny, but where I live ive never heard it. I've also heard of a horse called Dunny, my friend rode him :p

Im not quite sure about this one, but ive heard lots of terms for the short boots you ride in, like Paddock boots and Jodphur boots.

Pasture vs Paddock vs Field

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Float can also be to have horses teeth rasped. (uS) Not used in the UK.

UK jodhpur boots, short boots for riding with either a single strap or elasticated side. Paddock boots, short boots for riding but with laces. UK

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I heard Laminitis and Founder are different, that ones caused by fluid build up and the other is not. Not sure tho

·
Registered
14,148 Posts
Actually, a dunny is a type of outdoor toilet, or a toilet that is separate from the main house/building. I don't know if anyone refers to a normal toilet as a dunny, but where I live ive never heard it. I've also heard of a horse called Dunny, my friend rode him :p

Im not quite sure about this one, but ive heard lots of terms for the short boots you ride in, like Paddock boots and Jodphur boots.

Pasture vs Paddock vs Field
I don't know, just was told dunny was Aussie for toilet, not given any variations. It just made me giggle, so I start calling the mare Loo or Loo Loo. She's a silly thing, she probably likes it. :lol:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Easy(bad) keeper - Good(poor) doer

Gallop - in the US it is a gait, in Ireland/UK it is also where racehorses "train" as they do not live at the actual racecourse.

Racetrack - Race course

Horse trailer - horsebox (towed behind) or lorry
Also - jeep in Ire is pretty much anything 4WD - SUV, pickup, ect. Also just to throw it in there, a van is any vehicle at all that just has front seats and no backdoors/windows on the sides behind the driver side door. Even a small car is considered a van once it has no back seats.

Lead rope - leadline

Gypsy Vanner - coloured cob

Riding crop - stick

Strike out (with a front leg) - Spock out

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Easy(bad) keeper - Good(poor) doer

Gallop - in the US it is a gait, in Ireland/UK it is also where racehorses "train" as they do not live at the actual racecourse

Not quite right.Gallop is a gait here too - racehorses go out on the gallops, always plural.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Not quite right.Gallop is a gait here too - racehorses go out on the gallops, always plural.
Thats why I said it is also, I know it is a gait :) Any yard I've worked at it's just been gallop. "second lot is headin out to the gallop", down at say the Curragh they would say heading to the gallops as it is a shared facility.

·
Administrator
35,659 Posts
We still had a milk delivery where we lived but they used a van - we were miles from any shops though!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts