The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrightey - it's gonna be a fantastic year!! Ugh. *warning - I'm a little fuzzy-headed and overwhelmed, this post might not make sense*
I saw my Gyn yesterday. To those who haven't followed this, here's the Readers Digest version: I started having severe abdominal pain in November, 2008. It was a cyst and in December, it burst. Since then, I've had some pretty awful abdominal pains. We tried controlling it with continuous birth control, but that didn't work terribly well.
I've been experiencing excruciating pain the past couple of months, to the point where I cannot move, and ever since I stopped taking birth control (for my upcoming knee surgery on Feb 1) abdominal pain is pretty constant It ranges from a crampy menstrual feeling to sharp pains so bad they take my breath away, and I can't move. We've always suspected Endometriosis, and a laproscopy has been on the table since I started seeing him in June. My gyn would like to explore that option now.
I'm having knee surgery (it's starting out as an exploratory scope and progressing from there based on findings) on Feb 1. I had to stop taking birth control, as there is apparently a high risk of blood clots with this surgery (again, we have no idea what's wrong with the knee, a scope might not be enough) - and like I said, being off BC has not been fun. OTC drugs such as Tylenol and Advil don't work particularly well, and heavier drugs like T3's or Tramacet make me very ill - I can only take half a Tramacet at a time without it coming back up right away, and T3s make me nauseous and very dizzy. Anyways, since the "go-to" drugs don't seem to be helping, my gyn wants to put me on a drug called "Lupron" which will throw me into an induced menopause. He says that I might be able to handle it, I might not - I'll be miserable, but my abdominal/uterine pain should stop since we can't seem to control it well at all without birth control. I'm very very nervous about starting Lupron, I might opt to not do it at all. The biggest risk is that menopause, and this drug in particular, are associated with bone density loss - Lupron is not approved to be used more than 6 months.
A few months after my knee surgery, I'll be going back in the OR for my laparoscopy - this is what I'm quite nervous about - any anecdotes or advice? Info is greatly appreciated. We're doing the lap to hopefully shear off any endometrial adhesions that might be making my pain a lot worse. Any sort of lower bowel movements hurt pretty bad, so there's a great possibility there are adhesions on my bowel.
Did I make any sense at all? *sigh* Probably not - please feel free to ask me to clarify anything! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I personally don't think it's TMI for the main section.

I wish I had advice. All I can say is good luck with everything!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts