The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 5 month of Blue Roan and after I got him home and closer inspection, I noticed that he has large fetlocks and when he is gaiting in the field sometimes it seems like they are popping. I just had him to the vet and neither one of us noticed it. Is this something I need to be concerned about, should I take him back to the vet? I have had him stalled up for a few days as he adjust to his new environment and to allow the other horses to get use to him before I put him in with the herd.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is always worth getting a second opinion if you think something is not right. As we do not know the horse, it is hard to judge the size of the fetlocks to know if they are abnormally large or not. If they are perhaps swollen and puffy looking, then you should be able to feel and see that. There shouldn't be a popping sound.

("Popping" sounds could come from joints. Or from hind hooves hitting the fronts. Hard to judge if one doesn't hear it.)

I'd say definitely get another vet out for a second opinion. Especially if there is the possibility that there is a sinister problem and
you still have the opportunity to return the horse.

(Left field thought here. You mentioned that he has been stalled quite a bit to acclimatize him to his new environment. Perhaps this sudden decline in excersize is creating gassy buildup in the joints, maybe once the little one is turned out and allowed to be a yearling, these sounds will go away. *Just a thought*)

Also, perhaps film it. So that in the event that the horse is not presenting the problem when the vet is out, at least you can show the video clip to them to gain clarity / obtain a diagnosis.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to have him out in the pasture the whole weekend. It seemed like his joints wasn't as large looking. I am going to try to video him when he is moving and hope to get a good video of what I am talking about the movement of his back hocks to see what it could be. I really don't think there was any problems until I started to stall him up to acclimatize him to the new environment. I think we are through with keeping him stalled up and he now has a pasture buddy. I am hoping that will help. Right now, we are having a lot of rain and it is very muddy. I haven't encouraged him to step up into a running walk because of how slippery the pasture is. It was when he was in a running walk and racking when it seemed like his joints were hyper-moveable or almost like he was popping which may not be the best explanation of what I am seeing. I have also informed my vet that I have some concerns and hope to get him back to him next weekend . It is late when I get home at night and it is already dark. So, the idea of video him before I take him to the vet is really a great idea if I can do it next weekend. If fact, I may be able to forward the video to him and not even have to take the colt back in. Although, loading him and unloading him may be good for him.

Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
"Joint cartilage of foals that have not had free turnout loses the ability to adapt functionally to the load placed on it by the time the foals reach five months of age. Once cartilage loses this ability, it is more apt to become injured and degenerate more quickly." The Horse.com This article covers OCD and I'm providing the link as an FYI so if you haven't read anything on it you have a start: https://thehorse.com/129263/growing-problems/ Here is one on Physitis: https://foranequine.com/us/expert-advice/physitisepiphysitis-in-foals-what-is-it/

Another thought could be a degree of knuckling over. The pictures posted in the conformation are not clear. There is a sticky for the type and angles that make the best pictures. The avatar is a sales ad pic? That is the best one so far. If it is clear when enlarged you could put that in the post too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts