The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blaze, my 20 year old gelding. Two weeks ago a lump came up on his left shoulder. I called the vet and he X-rayed it and said no broke bones or chips. He also ultrasound it and said that there were no puss. The swelling is getting bigger and there is a lot of Heat in the area. It's slowing moving down his shoulder. I have been putting DMSO & Dep on it everyday with no luck on it getting any smaller. He has no loss of hair or any drainage to the shoulder what so ever. He is in pain so butt is also given daily. At wits end.....any suggestion on what this could be.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
You might want to have a vet look at him again since there is a change and not for the better.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I am not a vet but I would be a little concerned since it has heat which may be a sign of infection. Have you taken your horses temp?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
As a nurse, I say with the heat in the area, it sounds like he's starting to develop an abscess, and it just hasn't come to a head. I'd be having a vet see him again, they may need to open it to get it to drain.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a nurse, I say with the heat in the area, it sounds like he's starting to develop an abscess, and it just hasn't come to a head. I'd be having a vet see him again, they may need to open it to get it to drain.
Good luck!
No I haven't taken his temp. I will do it tonight. I will start him on antibiotic's tonight though. He doesn't want to cut on it right now he said.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
I agree with bubba. Definitely call a different vet. It sounds like an abcess to me as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its huge, I have never seen an abscess this big if thats what it is. I was not there when he came out to look at it. I asked the vet if we need to put him on antibiotics and he said it couldn't hurt!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
If my vet couldn't/didn't give me a diagnosis on something like that but still wanted to let it "run its course" I'd be looking for a different vet...

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Its huge, I have never seen an abscess this big if thats what it is.
I've not see any large ones myself in real life either but it does happen. Check out some of the vids on youtube, I'd post them here but they are pretty gross.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
hematomas can get large like that.If it is causing him pain & is heat in it should probably be drained. I'd be calling another vet too,I surprised he wasn't able to give a more accurate diagnosis in the first place:-(. a vet should be able to recognize a hematoma or abcess lump.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Could it be Pigeon Fever anyone?
God I hope not! I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I went through that a few years ago and thought we would never get rid of it.

If her horse isn't feeling lethargic yet, I wouldn't think so.With Pigeon Fever, I imagine she would feel the "sweat" that appears on the soft spot where it ruptures out by now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
As for the vet saying that "it wouldn't hurt" to run a course of antibiotics -- I'd be looking for another vet. Giving meds that aren't needed can develop resistance or cause other symptoms. Then you have an even bigger problem. I'd definitely be getting another opinion if possible.

·
Registered
971 Posts
One of our horses developed an abcess where he was given his annual shot and it got as large as a dinner plate before it started to drain..... Hope your gelding is OK.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
As for the vet saying that "it wouldn't hurt" to run a course of antibiotics -- I'd be looking for another vet. Giving meds that aren't needed can develop resistance or cause other symptoms. Then you have an even bigger problem. I'd definitely be getting another opinion if possible.
I don't think that was what was said...
The healing process needed to run its course.
She was considering giving antibiotics on her own.
At least that is what I was getting from it.

Either way I agree, she needs to find a new vet. He sounds more like a cow vet doing extra work as a horse vet....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Oh I see..I missed that...yep, time for a new vet. I am tired of the improper use of antibiotics. If it be humans or animals.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.