The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to having horses and I was seeing if anybody else had this similar thing happened to their horse. My horse gave birth about 3 weeks ago and baby is doing great but she has two large lumps on the sides of the back part of her belly. Seeing if anybody can give me a little more info. I said the local vet pictures and he was very unsure. I have my horses in Mexico so Vets and Knowledge are limited.
Carnivore Dog breed Liver Dog Fawn
Working animal Fawn Terrestrial animal Plant Liver

·
Super Moderator
27,073 Posts
I'm thinking it might be mastitis. I would check for a temperature and give the vet a call.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It looks like Edema. Where fluid collects at the lowest point. Does she get any type of exercise? I understand she recently had a foal, but even hand walk would help if that is what it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like Edema. Where fluid collects at the lowest point. Does she get any type of exercise? I understand she recently had a foal, but even hand walk would help if that is what it is.
That is definitely one thing I was thinking. It does feel like fluid in and it doesn't bother her when I push on it. The vet originally said that it would go away sooner but I was thinking possibly lack of exercise I was slowing down the process. The good thing is it definitely doesn't bother her at all. I will try walking her everyday and see if that helps and what changes within a week. The only reason I hadn't walked her was because I was thinking she was still a bit fragile even though she's a choker/fatty. Thanks for the reply 🙏

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
I agree with the edema but I don't like that much of it at all. I think you should try to find a knowledgeable equine vet and get them involved. Was her placenta checked after the foaling to make sure she passed it all?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Absolutely abnormal and should be inspected by a repro vet. Was her placenta checked after birth? Is she running a temperature?
It also could be internal hemorrhaging or some form of hernia maybe from pushing too hard during birth? I'm not sure if that's possible or probably but I highly suggest a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I live in a country which has very limited equine veterinary services (exactly two vets will see horses but they are primarily small animal vets - that’s it).

Try and find a livestock vet which specializes in reproductive health and see what they can tell you.

Other than that, our local vets prescribe either antibiotics or corticosteroids and hope for the best. See if that vet can at least wing it with one of those two.

If it is edema, there is an infection somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts