The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An acquaintance in my area is raising money for her apparently very nice kid-friendly horse to have this Laryngeal Hemiplegia surgery done at a nearby vet college. Says horse was born with condition, both sides, and gotten worse now that older; horse losing weight. I see a few older posts that say it is usually successful and horses live fairly normal lives afterwards, but am wondering if there is any more up-to-date information about this type of surgery and its success rate. She says horse would have to be euthanized otherwise, which doesn't seem like a good ending, although horse is 19 year-old Arabian. How long do they generally live? Any thoughts to help me decide how much to give her? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Well cared for 30+ years. Arabians tend to be hardy and can be ridden into their upper ages as long as they are kept fit and weights placed on their backs are appropriate.

It isn't an uncommon surgery and aside from the normal risk any surgery would incur these are routine and well tolerated with high success rates. Ask what the actual diagnosis is and the method of correcting that will be used.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, especially for the age expectation. I am going to visit the horse and owner on Monday, so will find out more then. When I talked to the owner on the phone, she was helping at a well-known "therapy" riding center, so I had some belief that what she'd said about this horse being able to be used for a "therapy" horse was in the realm of possibility. So hard to know with GoFundMe.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! That was a very informative Factsheet and I hope can better understand now when she tells me what they've told her will be done. Not good to read that food could go down wrong passageway now, as I'm not sure that horse is in situation where will be fed by hand everyday. Guess will find out what owner plans for feeding.

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
no longer whinny? that seems like a bit of a hardship. I mean, it would influence their ability to communicate over distances. Mostly just calling the herd, or the partner who is gone.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
no longer whinny? that seems like a bit of a hardship. I mean, it would influence their ability to communicate over distances. Mostly just calling the herd, or the partner who is gone.

They can still make quite a loud noise but certainly not a proper shout out.

Better that than suffering with not being able to breathe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts