The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i loan a mare, love her to bits- but due to a 5 hour move im probably going to have to end the loan at the end of this month...
i thought a good way to keep these memories would be to write down each ride, maybe some photos who knows, hopefully it can end with me starting a full loan of her- but honestly i doubt it.

le horse; 22yo cob mare, was unfit and atheritic when i started my loan (started in winter which is not helpful), has since gone through a bolting spree which lasted a month of me only being able to school her, but have since got her back to her usual dopey self, riding on a loose rein and hacking almost everyday im up... even started jumping her which shes loving, (and only happening since her atheritis isnt bothering her at all) as well as trying some lateral work, as the forum suggested, to help with some wierd cantering... i think shes really happy and enjoying all of the work we do, even walks up to me in the field sometimes, and stays with me when i turn her out for cuddles (and treats XD)

le me; 18 yo, mare, jkjk...
ive been riding for about 4 and a half years, the first 2/3 were awful- i fell off about 40 times, for pretty much no reason, (luckily no serious falls other than a fractured elbow), but had my confidence totally recked, my riding was AWFUL, and i couldnt stand to be in a riding school anymore... so i started loaning, first i began to loan a clyde mix, whos owner wanted to teach me dressage- but the horse had a shoulder injury which caused it to be very stiff on one rein, so it would not turn with out a lot of force (which i didnt realise, so we almost crashed into the corners at canter, and i fell) so the owner cancelled the loan...
i then did a week of riding camp, doing 8+ hour hacks in snow and rain, this basically bought my confidence back from the dead- i even galloped for the first time, and a couple of weeks later I STARTED MY CURRENT LOAN!

yesterdays ride:
i just got back from a week away, and really missed my horse- basically as soon as i got home i packed my bags and left for the stables (litterally didnt say hi to my family or pets, oops) but i wasnt planning to be long...
of course, on the day i plan to be quick, she gets the only wound ive ever seen her have, a big kick on the inside of her leg, with a scrape on her tendon, and little cut on her stomach... i rinse these and put some antiseptic and sudocreme on them- but she wasnt bothered with me touching them, and looks sound, so i figured i could still ride (wounds were likely old, as hadnt seen her for over a week)
in the time it took for me to clean her wounds some friends of mine arrived, so we decided to go hacking together, and i decided- since someone was coming with me- i would do my second ever bareback hack (this one being down and up hills, and through fields)
my mare was a total star, she does this really sweet trot at bareback- just a bit slower and flatter than normal, to help me stay balanced, even her few canter strides were more careful.
we hacked about 3 miles to another farm, and had a little wonder around the paths between their fields, getting our confidence up (as i was bareback where my horse likes to gallop, and my friend was riding a different horse, he did not know the area)... once we were both feeling pretty confident, my dubass asked if she wanted to try a canter- so we turned down this small, overgrown path (but the ground is good), and of course a deer runs out, about a meter away from us- spooking both of the horses...
my friends horse spun, and she fell, so i jumped off (my horse only jumped to the side so i didnt fall) and grabbed the horses... luckily she was ok, and so we had to find a way to get back on the horses; a 16" cob, and a 15,1" cob with no saddle...
it honestly took us about 40 minutes, i tried to vault which almost worked, but my saddle pad got all twisted and my horse started running off- but we found some tree stumps to jump from
finally we started to make our way home, a little shaken, but my loan could tell and slowed down from her speedy walk (trying to keep up with the other horse) and seemed more careful, as she normally trips her self up much more than she did yesterday... we got back and i gave her a wash and a tonne of treats and hugs, fed and turned her out, for a post bath roll, and left.

hoping to go back today, and check on her kick.

anyway, photo of the idiots, mines the one with the onion hair, and dodgey looking neck XD

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yesterday i did another bareback hack, a shorter route that only lasts about 15 minutes, since it was so hot... and my horse was a dream, apart from a little bit of an unwanted canter, she didnt put a foot wrong...

when i got back there was a girl who goes to my yard, who probably thought my horse could use some more excercise, even though i had ridden the day before, and was planning to go later in the week (was on a time limit as i had prom yesterday). but she offered me her lunge line

ive never lunged a horse before, i dont really plan to again either, but she taught me what to do and my horse knew it all already, so it went really well, she moved better than ive ever seen when im riding her lol

she tracks up really nicely in trot, even did some really nice canters, without dropping her head like she does with a rider, shes actually a really nice mover.
so i did that for a bit on both reins

since she was doing so well i figured i might as well try lunging her with out the line, so i took it off and sent her away, which caused pinned ears and a very speedy little canter, but she calmed down to a trot, and i changed the rein- she wouldnt stop tho, i put the whip on the ground and chatted for a bit, she just kept going, but she does this funny trot when shes doing something shes not meant to (like if shes in the wrong feild), where she lifts her knees as high as they go, and her tail goes up like an arabian XD

any way, after all of that, the girl asked if id ever ridden tackless- i said no, but didnt mind giving it a go- so we stuck a rope around her neck and i hopped on, she defo had no idea what was going on XD

slowly she began to understand stop cues, but i think she was mostly going off of my voice, same with turning being more off my legs, but i dont mind since it would be good to get her more responsive to all of those anyway, ill post a video if i can, but like i said she was confused- so it looks messy, she took the corners way too soon, but she actually took the corners, as normally she would turn into them, to look over the fence, and she was definatly begginging to understand woah, even from trot...

her owners fine with me teaching her tackless, if i keep a bridle on, and hopefully i can finish teaching her, ill probably keep it at walk and trot, since her canters usually unbalanced, and she doesnt really 'like' cantering either, i wouldnt want to fight her tackless tbh... but it would be great if i could do stuff like that when i visit her.
(vid of tackless)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
today i went for another bareback hack- first one on my own, and was planning to go into a field too... on the way to the field there was a dead bird, which caused my mare to spook, i managed to keep her going forward, and she calmed down pretty quickly- but then another injured bird practically came back to life right next to us, scaring the sh** outta both of us- she jumped to the side, but i managed to stay on and stop her from running off. i was going to bring the bird back to take to the vets, but it had run off after scaring us- and i wasnt about to chase after it.
unfortunatly she was pretty spooky after that, and after a branch almost falling on us a month ago shes been kinda off in the field too- so i decided to leave it for the day, and turned back early, though had some really nice long canters up the hill...

we got back to the stables and had a break to cool down, but since it was such a short hack i decided to have another go at the tackless thing;
she was great at turning today, i had to be really light with my legs (for once) or she would do a full 90o every time... but had litterally no brakes, not even voice or seat, which shes normally really good on- i think i might have rode really wierd on the hack :0

also tried some more lateral work, (with reins), i only know how to ask for turn on the forehand- shes lovely on one rein, the other gets her so confused, she backs up, walks sideways, everything other than a tofh...
my aim was to get three in a row on her bad rein, but half way through i triggered some kind of dressage horse ptsd, and she started leg yeilding and circling, i even tried to just stop her and she went into a beutiful bend into a circle

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
totally forgot about this XD ive been riding so much, pretty much everyday and shes been amazing, shes finally starting to really understand tackless instead of just trotting around and kinda listening, but also ignoring me when ever she wants... i worked out how to teach her brakes- i taught her back up from the ground (with the neck rope) and that seems to have worked so well, she was really getting it last time i rode...

i also raced her recently, theres an ootb at my stables and we figured it would be fun for them- he was totally unbothered, didnt even try when he was beating her lol, but my mare was getting so amped up waiting to start that i had to have her face the other way- she galloped the whole way, and loved it- kept trying to race him again and seems to like him after it. she actually kept pace with him pretty well, we even started to catch up at the end, finishing at his shoulder!
we decided to do some jumps after, but she was obviously really tired and kept running them over, so i just chilled with her in the corner of the school while the others finished up- she was pretty happy to just rest, and have her head scratched :)

aghh posting these make me too sad XD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.