The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just went and looked at a mare today that I'm thinking about buying. She's a very nice mare with a wonderful gait, and the only thing I saw was she had a small (about an inch long) lateral crack in the middle of her right front hoof. I rode her and it didn't bother her at all. The lady I met said she was selling her for a friend and she thought she had foundered and gotten an abscess that busted, but wasn't entirely sure. I was just wondering what yall think it may have been and if it could affect her at all? Also, she has had Strangles before, so can she get it again?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't know this for sure, but I'm pretty sure horses that have had strangles are more susceptible to it or are carriers or something, but I'm not sure on that. I just read it somewhere (the Horse? maybe) so you might want to check me on that. As far as the lateral crack goes, I wouldn't really worry about it. Those can happen if the coronet gets damaged at all, like a burst abcess or if the hoof gets stepped on in the trailer or something. They usually grow down just fine.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Lateral cracks are almost always a non-issue, especially that size. The only hitch is that as it grows down and reaches the bottom, the area just below can tend to break off a little, but usually doesn't cause any lameness or further issues. It could be an indication of founder/hoof issues, especially if you see several of them, but in general, they are nothing to worry about.

Strangles, once they have it, is less of a threat in the future. I think you get better future immunity from actually having it than from the vaccine, at least in my experience, but I'm not a vet, and most would probably still tell you to vaccinate for it. I think they pretty much carry it while sick with it, then it's not apt to spread again, but hopefully Ryle will see this and put in her 2 cents. However, ranches or other facilities that have an outbreak may have future outbreaks when conditions are right, but that is old information, and possibly inaccurate. =/

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well she had strangles a month ago, and now I'm afraid I may have given some of my horses it. I don't remember if it is spread by direct contact or not, and I didn't change clothes when I got home to go feed my horses and clean the stall(only my show mare is in now), and now I'm really afraid she and a couple of the others may get it. :(

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Ugh, honey had strangles, got it form the auction house where I found her. That is some miserable stuff, having to drain those cysts, her not being able to eat cause of the pain.... I pray your horses don't get it...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If she had Strangles a month ago, it is possible though not highly likely, that she is still shedding the bacteria. It is also possible that she could become a silent carrier and shed the bacteria at random intervals for years (only about a 25% chance of this). This second situation is why farms which have had Strangles in years past may see it again without having any new animals come onto the property ;)

After contracting Strangles, most horses develop a strong and long-lasting immunity to the bacteria that cause this disease so it's much less likely that they will contract it again.

If you purchase this horse, I would be sure to quarantine her for at least 3 weeks just to help insure that you don't end up exposing any of your other horses.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hello...
Isn't there a test that can be given to see if a horse that has had strangles, is in fact a carrier??? I think I read there is a test.
It is a ****** of an illness and sad to see at that.
HP

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes, guttaral pouchs can be examined and samples taken from that area for culture to see if the bacteria is residing there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If she had Strangles a month ago, it is possible though not highly likely, that she is still shedding the bacteria. It is also possible that she could become a silent carrier and shed the bacteria at random intervals for years (only about a 25% chance of this). This second situation is why farms which have had Strangles in years past may see it again without having any new animals come onto the property ;)

After contracting Strangles, most horses develop a strong and long-lasting immunity to the bacteria that cause this disease so it's much less likely that they will contract it again.

If you purchase this horse, I would be sure to quarantine her for at least 3 weeks just to help insure that you don't end up exposing any of your other horses.
Okay, THAT'S what I remember reading. Good to know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.