The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buy a turnout sheet, med weight stable blanket and heavy stable blanket and layer, or buy lite med and heavy turnout blankets? What's better, or does it even matter? My horse is in if they are calling for rain or snow, but the barn is down in a hollow and it's rather cold. The horse has to be blanketed for health reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I agree, 3 different ones. I used to horse sit horses I'd have to layer according to the temps. They always looked so uncomfortable. The blankets would twist, the straps would tangle or come undone, the walked like they had hardcore wedgies. One blanket is WAY better.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I hate blanketing, but I do not have a choice with this horse. He has made it very clear he is more comfortable being blanketed.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I'd get an unlined turnout rug, a medium weight, outdoor style waterproof rug and then a well fitted stable/under rug.

That way you can have just the turnout in not cold wet, the medium one as your general cold weather one, add the extra layer of a stable rug if it gets really cold, and the unlined turnout with the stable rug under for a lighter option (or if your other gets wet through).

So long as the rugs are well fitting with the appropriate fastenings I don't think two layers will slide about much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts