The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Palouse pony that has had no energy and keeps laying down, she also looked to be struggling to pee. She has always been very active but not over the past few days. She is 15 yrs old. Does anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Yes. This horse absolutely needs to be seen by a vet. As Avna said, yesterday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does your vet say? I would have had my vet out there yesterday.
I have my vet coming out today
I have a Palouse pony that has had no energy and keeps laying down, she also looked to be struggling to pee. She has always been very active but not over the past few days. She is 15 yrs old. Does anyone know what it could be?
my vet has come and she has a bad stomach ache from something she ate and will be ok in a few days

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
You have called the vet haven't you?? If not, do so NOW!! Then, while you're waiting practice your 'first aid' management, then would be the appropriate time to get onto the horse forum for other opinions.

First thing comes to mind is acute laminitis/founder. So first aid for that would include immediate removal of her from any grass or other rich feed - feed only soaked & drained(to leach out sugars) grass hay for now, and get her into an area with soft, deep bedding & don't force her to exercise.

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
So the horse has colic it seems(name for gut pain, can be caused by a range of probs, from minor to MAJOR. Frankly, if the vet actually said that, I think something's fishy, perhaps they just have no clue themselves, and I'd be calling another vet. I've actually never heard of a vet diagnosing 'colic' & saying just something she ate, be right in a few days, aside from the fact the horse has already been in great pain for days already. I hope that this vet at least gave the horse something for the pain & told you it can be potentially life threatening, that you should at very least, keep a close eye on the horse and be ready to call them back out if she gets worse?

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
So the horse has colic it seems(name for gut pain, can be caused by a range of probs, from minor to MAJOR. Frankly, if the vet actually said that, I think something's fishy, perhaps they just have no clue themselves, and I'd be calling another vet. I've actually never heard of a vet diagnosing 'colic' & saying just something she ate, be right in a few days, aside from the fact the horse has already been in great pain for days already. I hope that this vet at least gave the horse something for the pain & told you it can be potentially life threatening, that you should at very least, keep a close eye on the horse and be ready to call them back out if she gets worse?
All of this. There is no such thing as just a tummy ache in a horse. This is colic. It can be from a blockage, from gas, or any other digestive issue, and it is very, very serious. Horses that lie down frequently and get up can twist their intestines which can lead to a very quick deterioration. Horses cannot vomit so whatever is in there has to come out one way or another.

I hope your horse is ok, but this is not something to take lightly.

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
Actually... Colic is basically a tummy ache.

The question is more - WHAT KIND OF TUMMY ACHE...

Is it gas, is it a blockage, is it strangulation (where the intestines are rotated or wrapped) is it poor blood supply, is it inflammatory, could it be ulcers?

Did you vet leave a printed write up? What did she say exactly as to why she has a tummy ache? What was the treatment?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We gave her the treatment the vet described and she is nearly back to her old self, we did figure out the neighbours dropped something over the fence and she ate it but she is fine now. Thank you for your comment though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually... Colic is basically a tummy ache.

The question is more - WHAT KIND OF TUMMY ACHE...

Is it gas, is it a blockage, is it strangulation (where the intestines are rotated or wrapped) is it poor blood supply, is it inflammatory, could it be ulcers?

Did you vet leave a printed write up? What did she say exactly as to why she has a tummy ache? What was the treatment?
The vet said she had eaten something that wasn’t good for her stomach and had to wait for it to pass. She is on medication and is nearly back to her full self.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
In your original replies you never mentioned the vet giving any sort of treatment.

WHAT was the treatment - I assume banamine? Something else?

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
I'm interested to hear what the treatment was as well. How did the vet decide it was something she ate? What did she do to figure that out?

Reactions: loosie
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.