The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been back into the saddle with my english riding lessons and I've been enjoying it!
Well, I only have one problem. At my barn, we get "assigned" to lesson horses. I usually ride a horse named Keanu, and he's a young thoroughbred that I love to death and I feel as if we have a special bond. He listens to my natural leg aids easily and I make sure we work as a team.
Now my trainer took Keanu to a show for the weekend so I had to ride a horse named Ed. He's only 1-2 years older than Keanu. The thing is, he's lazy. Very lazy. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my crop yesterday and I tried to use any aids I could, but he wouldn't listen. I knew I wasn't confusing him, since the trainer that was filling in for mine told me that I was doing fine. He's just a lazy boy. Won't trot for more than 10 seconds, likes to walk and he stays behind the rest of the group in my lesson. What should I do? I have to ride him until Keanu comes back, which won't be for a few days. Should I try the crop, ask for a different horse, or just go with it..? Please help!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Most lesson barns have piles of crops floating around that have collected over the years. I'd certainly ask for one in a heartbeat if I forgot mine, left it in my locker, whatever.

Be sure to ask your coach if the horse is OK with a crop to begin with, however - some don't react well to them, but my experience is that the pokey slow movers are always fine with them and they have the intended effect.

The coach should not (IMHO) be accepting of the fact that your horse is not doing what he is being told. Unless you're in the middle off the rail it's dangerous in a lesson environment when one horse isn't at the same gait as everyone else, so when you're walking while everyone else is trotting it's a bad thing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree with everything OshawaPilot says. Also just a little bit of re-iteration, make sure to ask if the horse is okay with the crop before you assume. One of my previous mares was an amazing horse for low confident beginners but she would turn into a bolting, bucking bronc until you hit the ground if you ever mounted her with a crop. My old lesson barn learned this the hard way...multiple times...

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I think asking your instructor if you can use a crop on Ed is a good idea. Explain the situation first, then pose the question.

Also, I have to say that it was a bit unnerving seeing that the name of the horse you normally ride is Keanu, as that is my nine-year-old son's name. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.