The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
My horse had the tendency to get in front of me and be all distracted and step into my path. At first, I did that baby, lets go around in a circle and start again, but now I just lead her with a 10 foot lead rope. If she gets in front of me, I start circling the spare tail of the lead rope in front of her face (warning: do not hit her face) creating a visual boundary. If I want to turn right, I step to the right, while swinging the lead rope, to encourage her to step out of my way. Most of the time, it is about assertively deciding where to go and then without hesistation or aggression, going there. Horses are big, they get used to us stepping out of their way. I had an issue where my mare would crowd me at the gate. It took me 30 minutes to back her up and understand that I want her to stand and wait. It took so long because she would take a few steps further, a step further, creep forward all sneakily, and most people would accept that because we get impatient too, but after that 30minute session she knows, I am opening the gate. You wait right here and don't move a muscle, or it will take you twice as long to get out of here!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.