The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
yes the crop trick is great. even better, is a flat bat. the kind with 2 flat leather flaps. makes a racket when it taps, but never hurts them. i keep it flat at my side out of site until the moment the horse doesn't respond to a pull on the halter, or the word whoa. then it comes out of nowhere, gets them and disappears. the don't even see it coming. it's like you have magic powers!!!!

· Registered
100 Posts
here is a picture of the type of bat i use:
Leather DOGGIN' Bat

the 2 pieces of leather make a popping sound so you don['t have to hit the horse hard, just one distinct thwap will get his attention. it is used like an extension of your arm, but carry it flat at your side until you need it. then one thump and back to your side. unless he doesn't respond. it helps to give a tug on the halter at the same time and use a word with it. i give a tiny tug, then if no response, a stronger tug timed with the bat. next time the tiny tug is all you need. never use the bat if they DO respond to a tug. (tug = never a steady pull. a pull and release is better. they get dead to a steady pull pretty quickly)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.