The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I would like to learn more about hooves, care, diseases, problems, different ways of trimming. I wont be doing anything practical, so I'm just looking for resources to read up on the subject. There is so much out there that I'm a bit lost on where to start. I know 'hooves' is a bit broad, but I dont know enough to know how to start narrowing it down. Any suggestions for books/videos/articles/websites are very very welcome! :D

I know there was a thread in here once that had a bunch of resources listed but I cant find it, if anyone remembers what thread that was, please let me know..

As I said, i have no option to do anything practical or ask a farrier questions, since I lease and work full time, and I'm never at the barn when he comes out. (and I shouldn't be doing any 'practicing' on a horse anyway 0.o)

Thank you so much!

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
That would be the bottom of @loosie threads, I believe.

There are a couple of absolutely awesome British blogs that I used to follow, one was Rockley Ranch, the other I have to look up on the old ipad.....

Pete Ramey, ELPO, will get you a LOT of reading!

Have fun!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Pete Ramey's website has lots of free informative articles that have been published in magazines in the past. And if you like to spend money, he sells great books and videos.

Link: Pete Ramey Hoof Rehab home. Horse hoof maintenance and care.

Gene Ovnicek is the founder behind Equine Lameness Prevention Organization. The E.L.P.O. website also has lots free information about the care of the equine foot. Link:Home

Gene has also made several very good videos that are on YouTube. Searching under either Gene Ovnicek or Hoofcare Today will bring up most if not all of his videos.

Gene also has videos for sale at Link: Natural Balance Hoof Care Ultimate Education Pack

These two guys are the most quoted people by the more knowledgeable hoof care practitioners. The American Farrier Association even references Gene Ovnicek.

Pete Ramey is a 100% barefoot person where Gene Ovnicek acknowledges that in the real world, there are situations where shoes are needed. So they diverge a little on that point.

If you learn a fraction of what these two guys know, you will be very knowledgeable on hoof care. That said, there is some things that, for me, just didn't quite sink in all the way until I actually faced them with my hands, eyes, and a horse.

I started the pilgrimage you speak of about two years ago and feel I have only just begun.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the links! Seems like a great place to start :D

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Yeah, signature line below my posts is the thread link. If you want to post pics of your horse's hooves for more specific advice/opinions, check out the other link, for what angles are important to give the most accurate idea. Happy travels!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Loosie! That was the thread I was looking for :D Looks like I have plenty of homework to do ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts