Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. My riding horse is recovering from an injury and will be recovering for the better part of a year, if not more :( I have another horse, but he is too young for riding at the moment and I'm finding myself missing the sport of it all! I've luckily had the opportunity to ride other horses occasionally, but none of them are at the riding level that I was at before and I feel like I'm losing some of my ability as time goes by + I do miss the training aspect of It all. I've been thinking that I'd like to get back to It, but I'm not quite sure If a partial lease would be a better option or lessons. I've drawn up some pros and cons of each option.

Leasing:

Pros
- Get to work with one horse on my own time
- Would be able to get my old coach for lessons
- Possibly be able to show/ do clinics again

Cons
- I don't have much time and a large part of my time goes towards caring for my own horses
- I find I have a hard time bonding with lease horses
- Can be more expensive than just lessons
- Depending on the draw... owners
- Not many options for good leases where I am.

Lessons:

Pros
- cheaper option to leasing
- More convenient for my schedule
- Full instruction

Cons
- Unable to use old coach since she has no lesson horses
- No dressage lesson barns in my area. Closest one is 2 hours away and I think she is taking a break from teaching at the moment.
-There is a more general lesson barn I used to go to a long time ago, but I'm not sure I'd get the instruction I'm looking for and all of the horses are pretty green. I used to teach at that barn.

What do you think would be a better option? I feel really stuck without advancing right now, but I also just miss being involved in the sport as well.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
It depends on where your personal riding level is, but if you want to advance I would think that lessons would be more useful. Assuming that by leasing you mean just leasing and no lessons. At least for myself (and I am at the maybe somewhat advanced beginner level) I find that when I ride my horses on my own, I am great at keeping up with where we were, but I don't really progress. Having a lesson even once every other week really makes a difference for me.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really consider myself that advanced, but advanced for my area because we don't really have any upper level riding barns here, which of course makes the choice harder. On my personal horse, I was schooling second level Dressage, but we never had the opportunity to compete at that level due to on/off lameness. The barn in my area might be good, I'm sure I've picked up some bad habits riding without instruction over the past year. However, when I last rode there, I would pay for a lesson and basically be put on a horse that the instructor wanted to correct. I wouldn't get much instruction out of It unless It was a private lesson on the instructor's personal horse.

I'd consider lessons on a lease horse with my old coach, who is a Grand Prix dressage rider. The main problem is that not many leases are offered within reasonable driving distance here and the few that I've seen have been at barns who don't allow outside trainers or have been free leases. Or the owner wants to micro-manage everything, which I completely understand to a degree. I'll have to ask around and see If there are any that haven't been posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.