The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what other people pay / charge for a horse lease. Anyone who can, could you tell me what you pay / charge, and for what? Oh, and also where you are located.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I am located in MI.

To half-lease a horse at a HJ barn I took lessons at was $250/month if you commit for 6+ months. This is for 2 rides a week. If there was not a commitment for 6+ months, it was $350/month. From what I can tell, you are required to take weekly lessons at $30-40 a lesson.

To full-lease a horse from the local 'Michigan Horses for Lease' page, for a local show horse or trail horse, it looks to be around $150-200 for an on-site lease, plus paying half for some maintenance things like farrier work.

To half-lease a horse from the same page, that is more experienced with showing, is $200+.

I have seen a handful of free offsite leases.

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Super Moderator
13,085 Posts
Think about what you want out of it. What are his costs per year. How much will the lease person be riding. I am assuming 1/2 lease which could be 3 days a week. You could go a 1/3 at 2 days. Figure out what you want the lease money to cover and make sure you look at insurance. Yours to cover another rider and the horse in the event something happens. Compare that to your area. Will this person trail ride only. Will they commit to certain days. What does your use of the horse cover schedule wise during a week?

Here you are looking at anything from $100 for a 1/3 or 1/2 to $450 - $600 depending on the horse and activity. There are higher I am sure and going for full lease even more. Then there are free leases of all sorts.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She wants to come out twice a week. She may ride one or both of those days. She may just hang out and groom her.

I was thinking to charge her $200 per month, but she wouldn't be paying anything else, like farrier, vet, board, etc. Just the $200. My costs for Moonshine are $750 board per month (includes two lessons a week) plus farrier, vet, etc. Cost of board without lessons would be $500 a month.

I'm hoping to get some extra cash so that I don't have to max out my work hours every single month in order to pay for three horses.

She came out today and seemed nice. She rode Moonshine and liked her. She's not that great of a rider, IMO, but she's quiet, calm, and gentle, and Moonshine seemed happy enough with her.

Reactions: Celeste

·
Super Moderator
13,085 Posts
That sounds fair then for what she is wanting. And it puts a dent in his costs. It is also fair in the event she does decide on riding twice a week.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
She wants to come out twice a week. She may ride one or both of those days. She may just hang out and groom her.

I was thinking to charge her $200 per month, but she wouldn't be paying anything else, like farrier, vet, board, etc. Just the $200. My costs for Moonshine are $750 board per month (includes two lessons a week) plus farrier, vet, etc. Cost of board without lessons would be $500 a month.

I'm hoping to get some extra cash so that I don't have to max out my work hours every single month in order to pay for three horses.

She came out today and seemed nice. She rode Moonshine and liked her. She's not that great of a rider, IMO, but she's quiet, calm, and gentle, and Moonshine seemed happy enough with her.

So she would be interacting with the horse 8 times a month. Is she good enough to tack up and do basic things without you being there? That would change my cost. If she can be trusted alone, I would charge around $30/time and ask $250/month.

Assuming your lessons are about $30/lesson, you are paying ~$500/month for board. Asking half of what you pay for board seems very fair to me.

Now if you need to be there and supervise her everytime...I'd ask more.

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So she would be interacting with the horse 8 times a month. Is she good enough to tack up and do basic things without you being there? That would change my cost. If she can be trusted alone, I would charge around $30/time and ask $250/month.

Assuming your lessons are about $30/lesson, you are paying ~$500/month for board. Asking half of what you pay for board seems very fair to me.

Now if you need to be there and supervise her everytime...I'd ask more.
I'm planning on coming out a few more times with her. She said she grew up riding English but in recent years had only ridden Western, and she did have some tack questions. We can supervise her a few more times, plus give her tips about getting Moonshine out of the pasture (most important tip: BEWARE THE MINI DONKEYS! THEY WILL ESCAPE!).

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm planning on coming out a few more times with her. She said she grew up riding English but in recent years had only ridden Western, and she did have some tack questions. We can supervise her a few more times, plus give her tips about getting Moonshine out of the pasture (most important tip: BEWARE THE MINI DONKEYS! THEY WILL ESCAPE!).
Probably the most important question - do you have a legally-binding contract written up?

Who is responsible for vet bills if something happens while she is handling the horse?

Who is responsible for replacing broken tack if something breaks?

Who is responsible for vet costs if the donkeys get out and get hurt?

Who is allowed to be there? Just her? Her friend too?

All things you need to have in writing, and consider. I would assume this is the biggest reason many people decide to either not lease, or just sell instead. There is so much liability that goes into this, not to dissuade you, but to make sure you are covered if things go upside-down.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will definitely get a contract. I appreciate the list of things to consider. I'm sure there are more that I still need to consider. I'll see if anyone else has any thoughts about my proposed price, then I'll send it to her. If she agrees, then I will work on the contract.

·
Registered
49,767 Posts
I feel that $200 is fair for 2 times a week, especially if at times she will only visit the horse for relaxation .

She sounds like a very nice person, and one who asks questions, instead of just muddling , is what you want. You want them to ask your opinion and your rules.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Contract re: things to include

Description of horse including name, color, markings, and any registration numbers and papers.

NO WARRENTIES CLAUSE. You give nor hold any warranties on the horse whether stated or implied - this is an "as is transaction."

Price, what that price gets leasee, and what day it is to be paid by each month and how (cash, check, PayPal, etc).

If there are any fees included with trainers (make sure this is covered since they sent the person to you. Some trainers would want a monthly cut). If there is not say that no extra fees are to be charged monthly.

VET
-Who is responsible for general care (vaccines, coggins, teeth, farrier)
-Who is responsible if the horse gets hurt in general (pasture injuries, stall injuries, general lameness etc).
-Who is paying vet bills if the horse is injured due to leasee activities (including but not limited to: handling, riding, tacking, untacking, washing, grooming, or if the horse gets out/loose due to leasee handling.
-Who is responsible if the horse pulls a shoe and needs it replaced?

Leaser (owner of horse), Farm (put in names of managers/owners/, and other involved parties are not to be held liable for any and all interactions, injuries, not excluding death, to leasee.

Who is to pay attorney fees if a lawsuit is to come to be?

Anything where you require the leasee to wear specific gear (shoes instead of flip flops, helmet, proper pants etc...) when around your horse.

Condition in which horse and all equipment is expected to be in when leasee is finished for the day. (Sweat marks, cleaning, bit washed, mane and tail brushed, etc).

Any and all state codes that need to be added.

This is not even a complete list of things I would include for any lease, no matter the cost involved.

·
Registered
244 Posts
to be honest, if things get too complicated, the leasee will walk away. I would. Remember that trust goes both ways.
Trust is only as good as the lawsuit that follows.

It isn't complicated, it's legal safety for all parties involved.

If someone walks away with that little bit in a normal contract, then that's a giant red flag.

Protect yourself. Protect yourself.

You and your horse's safety is absolutely paramount, and you can be held liable for anything and everything.

Horses are considered inherently dangerous animals, and the issues with them come from that. You can and will be held liable for anything that happens. Having a plan and having a signed contract with rules is just reassurance that if anything happens all parties are covered.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Probably the most important question - do you have a legally-binding contract written up?

Who is responsible for vet bills if something happens while she is handling the horse?

Who is responsible for replacing broken tack if something breaks?

Who is responsible for vet costs if the donkeys get out and get hurt?

Who is allowed to be there? Just her? Her friend too?

All things you need to have in writing, and consider. I would assume this is the biggest reason many people decide to either not lease, or just sell instead. There is so much liability that goes into this, not to dissuade you, but to make sure you are covered if things go upside-down.
Excellent points. I’d include only the person leasing may ride the horse and the horse may not leave the property except for trail rides.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
You may need liability insurance or up your homeowners liability insurance. If she gets injured at your place, you'll want to make sure you, your horse and your property are covered. Since you are charging for use of your horse, I would definitely talk to your insurance carrier and see if there is anything you need to make sure you are covered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.