The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

So my new horse came a few months ago. I'm in LOVE!

He came with a ton of stuff, including a leather halter. It's about $100 worth, and pretty new!

But.. he went out in the field with it on :((

Now it's caked in mud!!

Does anybody have some advice on how to clean leather halters? I tried leather cleaner for horse tack, and even boot cleaner! Nothing worked.. I'm about to resort to a wet paper towel lol! If anybody has any ways to clean a leather halter, please let me know!!

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Warm water and a saddle soap to get the mud off, dry thoroughly, then condition with a good leather balm like Effax Lederbalsam. A bit of mud isn't the end of the world!

That said, I don't use my leather halters to turn out my horses. I use a decent breakaway - the Weatherbeeta ones are good, they have a replaceable breakaway tab - or nothing at all.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
Hose it off on a strong spray setting and let it air dry completely, then condition it well. Should be absolutely fine! Decent leather is a lot heartier than most people think.

·
Super Moderator
14,754 Posts
What would you do if it was a pair of shoes and you stepped in mud?
Me...
Let it dry...
Take a stiff brush and once dry brush it off....yes, you might need to pick some of it off where really crusted.
Once the majority is gone, like only a small amount remains....nah...brush all of it gone.
Now free from dirt and mud clean it like you would any quality leather product...
Saddle soap, glycerine bar, hottest water your hands can stand and take it apart and clean it really well.
Let it air dry not in the sun...
Once fully dry, if the leather needs nourishment I only use 100% pure Neatsfoot Oil applied in very light coats, let it soak in between applications.... take a soft towel/rag and buff to a beautiful luster quality leather has and shows.

Save your expensive leather halter for dry weather conditions and not t/o would be my suggestion.
Buy a everyday leather halter that gives the protection of leather if worn in the t/o but will not give you a heart attack if it gets filthy from mud, forget if it breaks.
I despise nylon or rope halters for any environment unless I am in attendance and watching closely my animals.
Chicks Saddlery has a inexpensive leather halter called the "Sale Halter"
https://www.chicksaddlery.com/popular-leather-sale-halter
https://www.chicksaddlery.com/popular-leather-sale-halter-with-nameplate

1" wide triple-stitiched strap with a rolled throatlatch and snap, adjustable noseband, double-buckle crown. Several sizes and brown or black color choice.
Comes with or without a 3-line engraved nameplate attached...best is it is very affordable.
My horses use these for daily use. :wink:
If my horses are in a unfamiliar place turned out they wear their halters till they settle down to the surroundings.
I also have those really expensive stable & shipping halters that is only used for when we go to a show and want to impress as we exit the trailer your first glimpse is that profile encased in a gorgeous fitting halter...other wise in a t/o :shock:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
My leather halter was covered in mold from being left in the barn this summer. I sprayed it with the hose and put it in the sun to dry. It looks fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts