The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought my saddle used and i love it. but it seems like there is some wear in the seat. at first i thought it was just dirt that i could clean off, but as i cleaned the area it seemed to get worse and worse. so then i figured that it's almost like its super dry, because its feels very rough. is there anything that i can do to help it? i have tried putting oil on it and it really absorbs it...so should i put more on? please help!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Don't use oil on any of your leather at any time - oil is bad for your leather as it weakens the fibrous structure.

use a leather dressing - if in any doubt it should resemble fat or grease, if it is a liquid then don't use it. If you can get it Carr Day and Martin produce a dressing called Ko-cho-line which is good.

Clean your leather with saddle soap , then after it has dried apply the dressing ( warm it up, and put it on with your hands, not a cloth ( unless you have exema ), do this after you have ridden or at least 36 hours before.

Put a small ammount on the shiny ( grain ) side, but most on the flesh side. A can of Ko-cho-line should last about 6 months.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.