The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 horses on a property without any other animals. I just put my boy up for sale, and have gotten quite a bit of interest. The reason for selling is I don't really have a connection with him, and that is very important for me. I have owned him for almost 3 years, and still, not getting anywhere with him in means of strengthening our bond.

So I have been looking at possible trades, however have not come across anything that would be willing to trade. I have now found a weanling filly for sale (8 m/o) that I really like. I can't buy her until I sell Dusty.

The thing is though, if I sold Dusty, my other horse Breeze, would be alone at the farm they are at, for a couple days, possibly for more then a week, until I brought a new horse home.

Breeze has never been an only horse, so I was curious as to what other peoples experiences were with this sort of thing. Would she be okay?

There are a lot of coyotes that hang around, going right up to, and into the horses paddocks. Breeze is fine with being by herself when I am with her. I just don't know how I would deal with this. I don't want her going crazy trying to find Dusty if he leaves, but I can't bring another horse in until Dusty goes.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to try and do things as close together as possible, however, I have no way of knowing when someone comes to look at Dusty, if they will buy him or not, so overlapping it will be close to impossible, unless I purchased the horse (or at least put a deposit down) before Dusty does sell. I will have to talk to the owner of the horse I am interested in first though, to see if that is even remotely possible.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
My horse's pasture mate had to be left by herself for 3 weeks while my horse recuperated from an injury in a stall. She wore a groove along the fence line from pacing but she survived.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My guy's been all by himself since the beginning of November. We aren't getting another horse until spring at the earliest. He's not real happy about it, but I've been spending extra time with him, and he's doing alright. No serious depression or anything. He's eating good and we still chase each other all over the pasture. I hopped on him bareback the other day and he was as ornery as ever, so I take that as a good sign that he hasn't sustained any mental trauma (he was already dysfunctional above the brain stem, so it's not like it could do much harm, anyway). :wink:

Just give your girl some extra attention. She'll live.

Reactions: Been There Dun That

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Do you know anyone who could 'borrow' you a horse for a short time?
Or ask the new owners to delay pick up until you have the new horse?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could try asking to delay pick-up, but around my area, people just come with their trailers the same day they look at the horse, if they like it they bring it home. There is nobody I know that I could borrow a horse from.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
My gal came from being with an older mare and a mini-jack to being alone.

She did have a short adjustment period where she seemed a bit depressed and slightly off her feed (a week or so) and was and is always excited when we ride past places with horses, but she's been alone here for over a year now, and is just fine. In fact, I think it has been good for us. When I bought her, she was not terribly people oriented. Now, though, she comes to the fence to meet us every time we come outside.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Sure "she'll live", but at what cost? Your horse doesn't understand that it will only be a X amount of time. And who knows what could happen even in a quick week! Weight loss, injuries, ulcers, or you horse could even become buddy sour.

Could you take in a foster? Find a friend to board with you? Borrow a mini? Board you horse close by for a week?

If you are going to keep her alone Id experiment soon her rather then later this why you can make other arrangements.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
That's just the thing SlideStop, they don't understand it's only going to be X amount of time. So say you have 2 horses and plan to ride one leaving the other at home. Most people feel this is OK but the horse staying at home doesn't know if this is going to be minutes, a hour or forever. Better just to get them used to it. In my experience it's the ones that don't get left alone at times that turn buddy sour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts