The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this popped up on my facebook and I just thought I'd share it here.
According to the poster on facebook, the horse was wearing a flat nylon halter and got caught on a t- post.[I don't know anything about the horse or the incident personally- if anyone does, please correct me. The picture just hit me hard and I felt like I should share]
It's beyond me that things like this keep happening- it seems such an easy thing to avoid :(

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
While I agree with the not leaving halters on - there is not a single thing with horses that will keep them 100% safe.

As a friend once said "horses are born looking for ways to die"

That being said - on my daily drive there is a place that just brought their horses home. Spent a lot of time building a nice shelter, awesome fencing and an auto water system. Brush hogged the pasture, etc.

The horses are turned out in rope halters.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I cannot stand when people leave halters on their horses. Horses get themselves hurt on anything, why leave something that could get caught on something on them?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Good god, poor baby. At the barn I'm currently at, they turnout in halters to make it easier to rotate horses around since there are 3 different rotations. Many of us have opted to use breakaway halters though since they're safer than just nylon.

·
Registered
228 Posts
:( That poor horse :(

I agree that there is no way to keep any horse 100% safe but I feel like there are ways to reduce incidents. The lady we rent our horses from for camp keeps their halters on them all winter and it terrifies me that something like this will happen one winter.... :( I take them off as soon as we get them in the spring and they only go on when needed.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Poor horse. At my barn we leave leather halters on the horses who have a halter on when out (and they're bad quality leather at that so they break at the drop of the hat).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oh my god, that poor horse! It ate his leg up as well. I'm guessing he is not getting the best of care judging by those feet as well :(

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
A T-Post is like a steel warratah right? Aren't they meant to be capped? (Not assuming this one wasn't, just trying to understand what the horse got caught on).

I have my mare paddocked with a halter on right now, because she is a tart and nobody except my farrier can catch her, and he lives 6 hours away. Her halter is a breakaway halter though!

Generally I dislike haltering in the paddock, unless it is for a reason, like DJ being difficult to catch at the moment.

But my farrier and I had this discussion this morning while he trimmed my horses, a girl near me was showjumping her horse at home when he refused, the stand tipped up, and the foot of the jump stand pierced the horse in the side. He was PTS on site due to it piercing vital organs. What happened there was a freak accident, but now everybody around the area wants fool-proof jump stands. They want jump stands that have no possible chance of harming a horse. But like my farrier and I agreed, you can minimise the chance of an accident happening (like not paddocking with a halter, or with any halter that isn't a breakaway), but you are never going to be able to stop a horse from getting injured, someway, somehow, at any point in time.

Poor poor horse though, what a horrible injury :-( and I hope he/she recovers well and isn't ever paddocked with a halter again, and IF the post was uncapped, I hope it is capped now.

My neighour's horse got a fright courtesy of the milk tanker that travels past her paddock on a gravel track every night. For some reason, it scared her this time and she jumped the fence, only she got caught on a wooden batten and ripped a hole in the front of her chest, that left a cavity big enough I could have put both fists inside, and you could see around the back of her shoulder joint. It was horrible, every time she dragged that leg forwards you could hear the sucking sound of the shoulder joint moving, the hole was so big it was impossible to stitch it back up again, but she healed up beautifully, not sure if she is racing again but she is fine now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Poor guy... Breakaway's are a blessing if you plan to leave a halter on.

My neighbors horse had a chunk missing down to the bone, most likely from the halter being left on.

Looks like this horse has the short end of the stick all around, between his nose/halter incident, legs, and hooves.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Poor thing!

The only time I leave halters on my horses is when the farrier or vet is coming early the next morning...

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
That pic sends shivers up my spine. I heard of a person leaving a halter on and it cost them thousands of dollars....horse got it caught on the water tap and he pulled the whole thing out, horse was fine, ******ed up their well though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can not stress the importance of break away halter enough. I knew some one who lost a horse because of nylon halter that didn't break. She was lungeing her horse in a nylon halter, he spooked, pulled the lunge line through her hands, jumped out of the arena, the lunge line got caught on the fence, and as the horse was fighting to get free, he fell, broke his neck, and cracked his skull open. The halter never broke. It was awful.

I also knew another horse that set back against cross ties, neither the halter nor the cross ties broke. The horse fell and broke its neck. That was another awful incident.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I can not stress the importance of break away halter enough. I knew some one who lost a horse because of nylon halter that didn't break. She was lungeing her horse in a nylon halter, he spooked, pulled the lunge line through her hands, jumped out of the arena, the lunge line got caught on the fence, and as the horse was fighting to get free, he fell, broke his neck, and cracked his skull open. The halter never broke. It was awful.

I also knew another horse that set back against cross ties, neither the halter nor the cross ties broke. The horse fell and broke its neck. That was another awful incident.
Holy crap that must've been one seriously strong halter! I had Mitch tied hard to a concrete fence post, he was tied that way because smarty pants had learnt to pull back and snap my twine, so I needed to teach him not to do it.
He pulled back, lent on the lead, sat back on his bum he was pulling so hard, and the first thing to give way was the head strap of his padded flat nylon halter. The pin of the buckle pulled straight down the rest of the headpiece. Shredded my halter completely, padding and nylon, and byebye horsey. I then had to find a new way to teach horse to stand tied and not just go away when he pleased.
(I was standing by with a knife during this)

·
Registered
635 Posts
The horse who jumped out of the arena jumped out onto the side of the arena that led out to the gravel parking lot. I'm pretty sure in his frantic thrashing he lost his footing and fell. The mare in the cross ties pulled back and rather then just sitting back, tried to lie down on her side. Both incidents were really freaky and both horses had heavy duty nylon halters on. I've seen many other incidents where the nylon halter broke, but those two times the poor horses were not so lucky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.