The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 month old colt has injured a front leg. I feel no swelling or heat. I picked out his hooves, nothing sticking in there. He's a bit tender to pressure in the fetlock, but again, no heat or swelling. He's still walking and even cantering around, so he is putting weight on it, but with a noticeable limp. He's into that phase where he puts his head and/or feet into anything and everything he finds curious, so I figure he just rotated or pulled something, maybe just stressing ligaments or tendons rather than tearing anything.

So my question is, would it be better for me to keep him and his dam up in a stall for a few days, to keep him from moving around on it much, or would it be better for him to just be out on the pasture, moving around as he normally would and allow him to get over it on his own?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Stall or small paddock to limit movement. Horses are terrible at limiting movement to rest injuries on their own.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: AFull99

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would stable him. If it was an injury that was filling, and walking helped keep it down, I would say small paddock to limit careering around, but you said there was no heat or swelling, which makes me think soft tissue injury. I would pop him in a box for a few days, see how it progresses, and if it gets no better, or gets worse, I'd be getting the vet out. Foalies legs are not to be messed with.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are actually going into the vet for the mare's coggins on Saturday, so I figured if he wasn't over it by then, I'd have her check it out while we're there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.