The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 yr. old quarter horse and his leg has been acting weird lately.

His left front leg seems to be causing him some discomfort. He'll occasionally limp, but walk out of it within five steps. Sometimes he doesn't put his weight on it fully. After his limp, his gaits are all normal both ways, and after riding, he's fine. However, sometimes when I ride, it's almost like his leg will give out under him, and he'll stumble a bit, but after, he just picks himself up and keeps going. He doesn't act like he's in pain and there's no heat coming off his leg.
I asked my vet, and he checked it out and said he might have some arthritis starting since he did used to be a jumper.

I was wondering if anyone agreed with the vet, or had any second opinions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vet said he showed some stiffness at the walk and trot after the flexion tests.
He didn't isolate the nerves since Tucker wasn't limping or anything and he said the x-rays looked normal.
That's when he said it's probably a mild case of arthritis and told me to just keep an eye on it and call him if it got worse (Which it hasn't yet, knock on wood.)

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
I would almost like a second opinion if the problem persists or worsens at all. You could try treating it like it's arthritis, with Adequan or Legend injections and a joint supplement. The symptoms don't exactly fit, though. Stumbling is almost more of a navicular thing. Are his hoof angles right? Good farrier care?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually thinking last night, it is in the leg where he has a slight club foot.
The farrier is excellent and his feet are in good care, he does have a corrective shoe on the club foot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts