The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting barrels again for a bit and I am wondering what kind of leg protection would be the best substitute for SMBs as I don't have the money to purchase a set. I currently have a pair of weaver neoprene splint boots and Professional's Choice no-turns. Would they work, or would some other leg protection be better?

These are the weaver splint boots:

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Personally, I don't find splint boots to be helpful at all in barrels. The bell boots, yes. But there is no protection in the fetlock area. To me, the whole lower leg should be protected when competing.

These are the boots that I use. The support is absolutely amazing and I know that my horses are protected when running. Plus, they last. But, I had to save up for weeks to purchase these two items but it was well worth it...

Professional's Choice Sport Medicine Boots II
Professional's Choice Ballistic Overreach Boots

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the barrel race is a fundraiser for a barn that burned down due to one of the grass fires we had, so the it is on February 5. Would polo wraps work better?

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I ride my mare in Pro Choice SMB Elites. They're pricey, but definitely worth a bit of saving up. You can find a lot of people selling them used for cheap.

I wouldn't go with the splints....I sometimes use those on trail if I'm going to be doing canter/gallop sets, but they really don't provide much protection against sharp turns.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay according to my friend who rode with Eric Lamaze before he made it big, polo wraps need to be wrapped certain ways to offer different amounts of support.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I found it!!

anyways, I was cleaning out my tack room today when I ran across some extra boots I never use. They are SMB boots I think SMB II, I will have to double check, anyways they are in good shape, navy blue, and a size medium. I would be willing to sell them for $30 OBO.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Here are some pictures. They are older but still in great shape. I rinsed them off pretty good because they were covered in spider webs from literally just sitting in the tack room, I don't know why I never used them because there is nothing wrong with them. They could use a real wash done to them, I just rinsed them with hot water. Let me know if toy want them :)

Edit: just realized I forgot to take a picture of the outside of both of them, but they both look the same. The one not pictured SMB lettering has faded off the outside but still has the lettering in the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you are truly concerned about your horse's safety and you don't have the money right now then WAIT!! It is very important to have the PROPER leg protection on your horse when you are doing barrels. Barrel racing takes an IMMENSE toll on their legs.

There have been new studies that state that some of the older SMB boots aren't that great on the horse. They have 4 straps which means that every strap can have a different tension level which can severely injure the tendons if one is too tight and another too loose.

I went through a presentation about these boots and I am sold on them from here on out.

the reason why these are such great boots for the competition horse is because there are only TWO straps... one large one for the initial wrap around the leg and a single for the support underneath the fetlock. This way the ENTIRE leg has the same amount of tension applied to it with a good amount of support on the second. another reason these are amazing is there is NO HEAT BUILD UP!! they are 100% breathable so they are great for those endurance riders as well.

The only other brand i consider using for splint boots on my barrel mare is Legacy, they do make a great product and have great splint and fetlock support as well as they come in awesome designs (which is second to the support they give my mare).

Bell boots are a lot easier although i prefer to use professional choice that are a no turn and have the little supportive nob on the inside.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I went through a presentation about these boots and I am sold on them from here on out.

the reason why these are such great boots for the competition horse is because there are only TWO straps... one large one for the initial wrap around the leg and a single for the support underneath the fetlock.
I have a pair of these. Will not get another. The velcro is constantly coming undone. I only use them at home for light workouts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
when the velcro comes undone like that that means either you have a pair that needs retired of it is a defective pair and they are warrantied against any breakage like that for 6months you just go through their website to get a new pair. i have owned at least 5-6 pairs of these in the past 6 years and just recently retired the very first pair i purchased this past fall.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I previously posted that I am borrowing a pair for now and will be saving up. I would buy those sierrams but right now I'm broke.
I'm also well aware of the strain barrel racing puts on a horse, I used to do it all the time, then I switched to jumping, another high stress activity, and pole bending.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Okay, just to update everyone, the problem is now solved! I bought a pair of SMB elites today. Much nicer than the SMB II boots I was borrowing.

Somoni - Those are either shipping boots, or ones that don't look like they would hold up to what speed events would throw at them.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I know you said you solved the problem, but I want to put my two-cents in just because I love threads about boots <3 I'm obsessed, I probably have a gazillion boot sets and only use two of them :oops:

Anyway, I am kinda sold on Iconoclast nowadays but am not fortunate to have a pair myself (Recently been borrowing a pair from the trainer)

But, since those aren't mine, I still really love my Legacy boots. It really said something to me when those are the ONLY boots my mare will sit down and slide stop in. Before she would always just kinda half-*** skate across the arena, now she flat out drag her butt in the ground if I ask her to.

So, I love the Legacy boots, and I use the Classic Equine bell boots too. I LOVE these as well, they have put up with a lot of my abuse for close to a year now and are still as good as if I just pulled them out of the package. (Before I tore up bell boots like mad)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.