The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I've been galloping in my western saddle much more. I find that my leg slips back quite easily. My cinch is always the correct tightness, and my saddle fits her well and I am always sure to double check that it is placed correctly and hasn't slipped. Is there anything else I should check? Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
What I've learned if your leg slips back, then your shifting your weight inappropriately or you don't have the strength in your legs to carry your weight as you are.

How are you riding the gallop?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sit slightly in front of the vertical. I can gallop in an english saddle just fine, so I don't think its a weight issue. I'm sure its probably carrying the weight incorrectly...Thanks!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I don't think its a weight issue. I'm sure its probably carrying the weight incorrectly...Thanks!
I think that is what she meant. :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
In western riding, your weight should be back - at or a little behind vertical. Because you ride with the stirrups longer in western and your legs just slightly bent as opposed to english where they are bent wuite a bit, you drive your legs forward by sitting deep in the seat and keep your heals down.

Hope this helps !

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Yes, it is probably just your seat. I believe you should gallop while gripping with your calves, but not squeezing to go forward. I havent ever heard a "Theory" on it, I've basically just gone and figured it out as I go :)

Try putting more weight in your stirrups. That should fix your balance issue and give you better position.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Ahh, sometimes I have to same issue. I am still learning and I usually am great at galloping..just not trotting...I've been working on it and today I worked on it for quite awhile.Oh and you have to sit back farther...think of it has sitting on your pockets when wearing jeans. That was how I was taught by a few people.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.