The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own this horse so I have some vague info over him.
Story is that he was fine when owner bought him(around 6+ months ago) she was in college and had a farrier shoeing him. She was running barrels with him. He started going lame. She pastured him for a few months and brought him to the barn I'm at.
I noticed his leg looks like it turns inwards at the fetlock joint. The whole pastern is angled in. At first it appears he was just severely toed in.
Could this have been caused by a farrier who was shoeing him wrong? Is this something that could be fixed to where he could be a consistent riding horse again?
Owner almost euthanized him before finding my barn to keep him at. Now she is talking about possibly selling him. It finding him a "job" to do.
The horse is a really rather nice big gelding. Would make a great trail horse or pleasure riding horse if his leg can be fixed. And she said he's around 12 yrs old.

Just wonder if any body has seen something similar to this issue and seen it resolved where the horse goes back to being a riding horse?

image.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not really toeing in I don't think. His leg looks straight until the fetlock joint where his pastern and hoof turn in. Not just the hoof turns in. This might not be the best picture. I can try to get more tomorrow. He was tied and wouldn't square up for me(usually he stands square when not tied).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
Hes crooked from the fetlock joint down hes probley been that way. No you cant fix that it will on cause problems. My daughters horse is crooked from fetlock joint down and toes in.

Last farrier tryed to straighten him out by leaving one heel hight then other.....hes fired can straighten a 12 year old horse out. Current farrier doesnt do that he only does daughters horse he cant be barefoot. For riding he wears feet down to much.

Iam done with this farrier also did fairly good first few times now hes getting sloppy in his work. Leaving heel to long and toes way to long.

From the picture hes not straigh he toes in from fetlock down and no cant be fixed. My daughter horse has been sound even with hard riding....and crappy farrier work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts