The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My trainer always yells at me and tells me my legs are way to far forward. I don’t think there that far forward but when I put them back like she tells me it’s starts hurting my knees. And suggestions on how to fix? I generally feel like I have worse than average knees as well bc every few months 1 knee will hurt very badly for a couple months. My dad also doesn’t have the best knees (the pain in my knees isn’t gout)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It’s hard to tell from the photo posted, but your stirrups might be too short. You want an approximate 90 angle behind your knee. This link gives you a good idea of what that looks like. And before anyone disagrees with me, this is a good guideline and visual, not a rule. All riders and horses have different shapes which could cause a rider to lengthen or shorten their stirrups. The OP posted this in the jumping forum so my advice is for jumping. Not dressage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s hard to tell from the photo posted, but your stirrups might be too short. You want an approximate 90 angle behind your knee. This link gives you a good idea of what that looks like. And before anyone disagrees with me, this is a good guideline and visual, not a rule. All riders and horses have different shapes which could cause a rider to lengthen or shorten their stirrups. The OP posted this in the jumping forum so my advice is for jumping. Not dressage.

Thank you, I don’t think my stirrups are too short because it is hard to post if they are any longer. Also this is jumping the video I screen shooted this from just kind of makes it look like dressage

·
Premium Member
13,100 Posts
it is hard to post if they are any longer
Sorry, but I can post and ride in two point at this length:

\
The US Cavalry taught this:

They used the bottom stirrup length until jumping at least 3 feet, and sometimes up to 4 feet. As the stirrups go down, your body will be brought forward in the saddle.

No, I don't jump. But my point is that one can post and do two point fine with a surprisingly long leg. And the article @updownrider rider linked to is excellent. It is like a one page summary of some excellent books on riding I own....

PS: I'm a 60+ lifelong jogger. The longer stirrups can really help with sore knees. At least, it helps with me.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
One thing to look at is how far forward the stirrup bars are on the saddle. If the stirrup leather is hanging vertically while you're riding, and it looks like it is, you're not really going to be able to get your leg any farther back under you while staying in any kind of balance. A lot of jumping saddles have very forward-set stirrup bars. Great for balancing go up and over large jumps, but not great for having a ear-shoulder-hip-heel line on the flat. Would be interesting to see where your leg might end up in, say, a dressage saddle instead.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thank you, I don’t think my stirrups are too short because it is hard to post if they are any longer. Also this is jumping the video I screen shooted this from just kind of makes it look like dressage
I didn’t say you looked like you were riding dressage. A dressage rider’s stirrups would be much much longer. I said yours are too short to have a correct knee angle, which would help your leg position. If you drop your stirrup leathers a hole or two it may feel odd at first to post, but not hard if you are a balanced rider (and you must be because you can jump! 😊)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts