The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love some suggestions.

I went with a friend to look at some young stock from a breeder. They sounded knowlegable on the phone. Get there to find out that vritually none are handled. Once a year or so. That's pretty standard on most stock horse type breeders out here. They said the person they had halter break the yearlings was riding them. Not cool. More disturbing was the fact that the broodmares, stallion and foals lived in one big pasture, while everything else lived, 24/7, inside an old dairy barn. The walls were partially open, so lots of ventilation, but they never saw sun, were never let out, and groups of them lived in small pens with concrete floors that got cleaned a few times a year. They were almost all stocked up, many with swollen legs or joints from kicking the metal fence or each other. They lived this way till sold, be it 2 months or 2 years

Technically they were a good weight, with food and water.

This one really bothers me. Does anyone know if anything can be done? This person owns 30-50 head of horses.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I would look into it. Food water and a good weight may be hard to get around, but injuries/poor care and living in manure are pretty valid. How bad is "a few times a year"? I'm picturing pretty bad but think from a legal standpoint, I think that would be your biggest case.

·
Administrator
35,675 Posts
I'd look into it at least
Horses get Vit D from sunlight so they're going to be very deficient and they need it to utilize calcium efficiently so they good have very poor bone density if they don't get any sort of supplement

·
Administrator
35,675 Posts
I'd look into it at least
Horses get Vit D from sunlight so they're going to be very deficient and they need it to utilize calcium efficiently so they good have very poor bone density if they don't get any sort of supplement

1 - 6 of 6 Posts