The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So I’m an intermediate beginner, and I’m currently half leasing but it’s fairly cheap for a half lease. I can hardly lesson with my half lease because the lesson times hardly ever work for me. Since I’m newer to riding, I can confidently walk and trot and I’m working on the canter. I ride English, and I would ideally want to lesson 2-3 times a week at this new barn because I really want to keep learning! But that would be really expensive and I’m unsure how I could find a more efficient way to manage this. I think about leasing at this new place, but I feel like I should just keep taking lessons instead of ride on my own in a lease. So any suggestions to how I could ride a lot for cheaper?

·
Registered
Quest is a 17.2hh chestnut OTTB gelding
46 Posts
Hello!
Can you afford to have lessons 2x a week on school horses?
If not, do you have someone who's willing to help you when you ride on your own?

You can do a lesson once a week and ride on your own the other days. It helps to have someone throw an eye on you and correct anything glaringly obvious.

But personally I wouldn't ride alone without someone to help me if I wasn't yet confident in the canter!

Have you looked into video lessons, they might also be cheaper.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I worked most of my lessons off. If I helped out with chores and other various activities around the barn, I didn't have to pay money for my lessons.

Reactions: NewlyHorseAddicted

·
Registered
85 Posts
I worked most of my lessons off. If I helped out with chores and other various activities around the barn, I didn't have to pay money for my lessons.
My BO (who’s a notorious unpleasant woman) refuses to let any student do chores, claiming that we aren’t experienced enough to be around the horses. She says barn work is a profession and you need a certificate. Which I get to a point, but I was proposing more cleaning the stalls, not grooming or tacking her race horses, or lead any of them to turn out. So. I guess you’re lucky and I need to look for another barn 😕

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
This is why I didn't lease/share when I was having lessons for a few years :< Now I have my own mare! But it is expensive either way.

Some things I've done:
- if leasing - have fortnightly lessons and ask for homework. My lessons were a bit longer (hour+) because we'd review things and discuss during cool down what to work on when alone. I now keep a riding journal and make my own lesson plans each week with help from my weekly instructor ^^

- invest in a swivel tripod you can put your phone on and pair with bluetooth (my current instructor has a pivo that I love). This is expensive upfront but it's SO good at tracking. You can put in the middle of the arena and it will follow you and your horse. This makes having video lessons easier and cheaper in the long run. If you have a bluetooth ear piece you can even stream it direct for a live video lesson or simply upload. It's so good to watch your rides back and while you might not know what you're looking for trust me, you eventually will begin to see. You can have a review lesson with a coach where they can help develop your eye and explain things they are looking for. Not all learning is done ridden ;)

- find someone that has a reputation for riding good/been trained by someone credible and ask if they want to earn a penny or two just giving pointers (please remember they usually aren't insured for teaching so be careful - what risks you take are your own). Sometimes I paid grooms or other liveries to just be present throughout and give me tips on what they do in training or even just say "things are OK, you can do it!". I do not consider myself instructor material but can I teach a friend basics and get them to be confident at a canter (on an experienced horse)? Sure. I always remind those that I help that I am NOT an instructor and they should make sure they have things smoothed out/fixed by a professional.

- save up for a few months and then have a riding spree instead of regular lessons. A few times I didn't take lessons like this and then had a month where I rode 3-4x a week. I learned A LOT, it was more like an intense course. I also had a very sore bum that first week. Maybe January is a "practice" month (no lessons) and February is a "hardcore" month (as many as you can fit in a short timeframe) and filling in the gaps on your lease or cheaper group trail rides etc.

I feel though that if you would like to complete, for real, then you'd definitely be better off ensuring your lessons are given by a professional from the get go to avoid bad habits :) Good luck with your newfound addiction :D

·
Super Moderator
14,519 Posts
Are your lessons a mandatory part of your lease?
If they are, then I would be after the barn to make your lesson time a time that works for you...you are the paying customer.
If you continually miss your lesson....well, the barn makes the profit and you lose because they learn you don't show so they double-book the time at your expense.

Instead of accepting you missing lessons....
You lease, you want your lessons you make your lessons on your schedule.
Now that you are taking the lessons mandatory, you can also schedule a extra lesson a week and you will make a lot more progress riding under instruction 2x a week than often not even once...
Seems to me most places that lease require students to take lessons and that lesson time is also part of the lease allotment....make that arrangement work in your favor, not against you.
🐴...

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
Sell all your possessions and live in your car?

Sorry, kidding - yes, it's ridiculously expensive. Everything about horses is ridiculously expensive, especially if you want to do things right.

I rarely do lessons anymore because I put all my money into paying for my daughter's lessons. After 10 years of that, she is finally able to coach beginners, and is now able to pay for her own lessons with this money. I don't even want to think about how much money I've put into those ten years of lessons for her... but it's all worth it and I'd do it all over again. There really aren't any easy answers here. Perhaps you could ask your loved ones to gift you some lessons for your birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day (do you celebrate that where you live? Here it's next weekend). My family knows not to give me flowers, or spa treatments, or jewelry. They know that all I really want is horse stuff, or gift cards to buy more horse stuff, or money to pay for even more horse stuff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sell all your possessions and live in your car?

Sorry, kidding - yes, it's ridiculously expensive. Everything about horses is ridiculously expensive, especially if you want to do things right.

I rarely do lessons anymore because I put all my money into paying for my daughter's lessons. After 10 years of that, she is finally able to coach beginners, and is now able to pay for her own lessons with this money. I don't even want to think about how much money I've put into those ten years of lessons for her... but it's all worth it and I'd do it all over again. There really aren't any easy answers here. Perhaps you could ask your loved ones to gift you some lessons for your birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day (do you celebrate that where you live? Here it's next weekend). My family knows not to give me flowers, or spa treatments, or jewelry. They know that all I really want is horse stuff, or gift cards to buy more horse stuff, or money to pay for even more horse stuff.
Now you got me thinking of a spa/riding weekend!

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is always tough in this position. I did as many above have done and worked for my lessons, our ranch was more of a kids out reach thing though so the horses were primarily handled and cared for by us kids. Now that I am older I work along side my trainer a lot and we swap services, I like the babies she likes the finishing lol

side jobs I do though house sitting/pet sitting(not time consuming but decently paid)
Trim dog nails
Have done dump runs
Clean other horse peoples stalls around the area
Sell unused/not needed items around the house

i do know many facilities do not offer the working option for lessons because of the potential accidents(gates left open, injuries, job not done up to par etc) but if you can find a local one just be sure their lesson program will be somewhere you will excel and not somewhere that you will backslide or be unhappy with :)

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Lessons are expensive. I video my lesson, doesn't get it all on camera but I do have all sound. I do one or two lessons a month now, and practice from the video, sound to make those expensive lessons count!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
My BO (who’s a notorious unpleasant woman) refuses to let any student do chores, claiming that we aren’t experienced enough to be around the horses. She says barn work is a profession and you need a certificate. Which I get to a point, but I was proposing more cleaning the stalls, not grooming or tacking her race horses, or lead any of them to turn out. So. I guess you’re lucky and I need to look for another barn 😕
Eh, yeah, my barn wasn't that strict, these horses were/are mostly run of the mill lesson horses for 4H level shows. Some are purebreds and some were national champion show horses but they were not definitely not race horse quality. Their value was sentimental, not monetary. I think the sentiments would be different regarding who was taking care of the horses if they were worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was almost expected after a while that you learned to do the hard work involved in horse care. If you didn't tack your horse up or prepare your own horse for a show (braiding/banding), you weren't well thought of. Good thing I don't mind manual tasks or taking care of horses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello! So I’m an intermediate beginner, and I’m currently half leasing but it’s fairly cheap for a half lease. I can hardly lesson with my half lease because the lesson times hardly ever work for me. Since I’m newer to riding, I can confidently walk and trot and I’m working on the canter. I ride English, and I would ideally want to lesson 2-3 times a week at this new barn because I really want to keep learning! But that would be really expensive and I’m unsure how I could find a more efficient way to manage this. I think about leasing at this new place, but I feel like I should just keep taking lessons instead of ride on my own in a lease. So any suggestions to how I could ride a lot for cheaper?
I would not lease until you are completely okay with almost all speeds, walk, trot , canter. This assures you that in case of an emergency (horse spooks, bolts, etc.), you can most likely handle it. I’d also look into helping the barn out in exchange for lessons or a discount! My one current horse is very chill and can handle everything that comes his way whereas my other horse is skittish, Bucky and more . Taking lessons helps expose you to more horses with different temperaments. That’s my personal advice for now 🥰
For reference, I’ve been riding for 12+ years and now have three geldings!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts