The Horse Forum banner

Let me see your Norwegian Fjord pics and anything Fjord!

44412 107
Okay so I love love love my norwegian fjord pony so anyone out there who has a fjord post your pics tell me your experiences...what should I expect from being a new fjord owner...good or bad and any tips, etc or funny experiences I would love to hear them!
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

· Registered
4,503 Posts
Nothing cuter than a baby Fjord! Nope, nope, nope! :D
And yes, they're defined as horses now, but technically speaking, any breed that averages under 14.2hh is classified as a pony, and so the Fjord fits in that category. And pretty much any horse incyclopedia/book labels them as ponies.
As they grew un popularity, however, especially in North America, the registries switched it over to the Fjord Horse, because they're so versatile and can be ridden by anyone. They're also quite stockier than most ponies.
Either way, they are a fantastic breed & i agree with some of the above posts - i've never met an ill-tempered Fjord but i've never met one that wasn't stubborn either lol!

· Registered
24 Posts
I know they come under the term pony, because of the height. But in Norwegian it’s called Fjordhest, where hest means horse. You can call it a pony all you like, it’s just we Norwegians that have to make a fuss about it ;) (even I, and I’m not even a Fjord fan)

· Registered
1,621 Posts
And yes, they're defined as horses now, but technically speaking, any breed that averages under 14.2hh is classified as a pony,
That came about for showing purposes. Genetically only breeds that come from Britain & Ireland are ponies. And some are not less stocky than Fjords, and can also be ridden by anyone!

· Registered
76 Posts
I have had 2 Fjords and they are a fantastic breed. I live in Norway so they are pretty common here ;) No matter where you go you'll see fjords everywhere, and they are not expensive here. The horse market here is so full that many times breeders have to give away their foals since they cant sell them.

Here are a few pics of my last Fjord, i sold him and i regret it everyday!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

This was just typical him, always had to test the rider :p

I could go on with pictures forever but i think i'll stop now :p

· Registered
1,284 Posts
I have had 2 Fjords and they are a fantastic breed. I live in Norway so they are pretty common here ;) No matter where you go you'll see fjords everywhere, and they are not expensive here. The horse market here is so full that many times breeders have to give away their foals since they cant sell them. "

Give away their foals????

Oooo, ooooo, pick me, pick me! Have pasture, barn, and two little girls. Send them over!

· Registered
76 Posts
A lot of people try to sell them first, but since there are so many horses for sale here its very hard to sell a fjord, espiecially a foal. People want a finished educated horse.
Not everyone ends up giving them away, some are sold for a fair amount of money, some are put down and some are given away. I feel that that problem has become a little bit better since breeders are starting to realize that there is no point in breeding year after year when they cant sell their foals, so the breeding has dropped a bit i believe.

· Registered
133 Posts
I used to own one, but sadly he did from heart failure..
This is "Felle Edel Hest"

I've got lots more of him , but they are somewhere else on the old computor.. He was a big boy..15 hands and very sweet.. His dam was from Anvil acres in Alberta where they raise the larger fjords.. nice bone and can carry a large man all day and pack out a half a moose to boot..
Here is his pedigree..
Felle Edel Hest Norwegian Fjord

AD
Missing her big sweet boy.. :(

· Registered
11 Posts
Fjord owners.....Do you think a fjord would be a good breed for a beginner/advanced beginner?
I am a beginning rider, and my Fjord is the first horse I have had in 10 plus years, and I am thrilled with my choice. Super sound, wants to please, not a mean bone in his body. My horse is the only Fjord in our barn of mainly paints, POAs and quarter horses. I am always amazed how much other horses are lame, or not ridable due to one issue or another. My Fjord is an easy keeper, the fact that he is adorable doesn't hurt either.:D

· Registered
6 Posts
I am a beginning rider, and my Fjord is the first horse I have had in 10 plus years, and I am thrilled with my choice. Super sound, wants to please, not a mean bone in his body. My horse is the only Fjord in our barn of mainly paints, POAs and quarter horses. I am always amazed how much other horses are lame, or not ridable due to one issue or another. My Fjord is an easy keeper, the fact that he is adorable doesn't hurt either.:D
Thanks! Did you buy your Fjord from a breeder? We have mostly Arabs around me and I'm really looking for a well-trained, calm, not spooky horse to go out on trail rides (alone and in a group) as well as do some arena and dressage. The fjords sound like a good fit as I'm short 5'1". How are their gaits? Are they smooth or do they have a "pony trot"? I also like that they're long-lived and sound as I'm looking for a forever partner.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Hi Dixie

What area do you live in? I was in touch with a lot of breeders when I was looking for my little guy. I might be able to recommend someone in your region.

-Kim

· Registered
11 Posts
Check out Francis Creek Fjords they are located in Wisconsin but sell fjords throughout the country. My fjord has a great floaty trot, canter not so much...dang those short legs! There are really two types of body types for fjords drafty or finer, I have a very drafty boy, with stout little legs, so his canter is a little rough. We are working on it though. :)

· Registered
64 Posts
First off......Hello everyone, Im new here! All I wanted to say is what a beautiful breed of horse, I have never met one in person! And heres a silly question............How do u pernouce FJORD???

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Hi All,
I have a friend who breeds fjords in vic Australia. I get to play with them and i love everything about them, except their strength if they're being fjord-headed!
We've had both of her mares working in our riding school at one point or another. I've shown both her mares and one her foals who she's just sold :cry:

I love playing with the fjords! especially the fluffy bubbas!

Her stallion she imported over from norway and must be one of the most stunning hores I've ever seen.

this is Myklejon:

This is her first mare with me riding (side saddle in a dressage saddle) at the heavy horse horse show last year

This is her second mare currently in foal for the 3rd time to her stallion

· Registered
4,503 Posts
What a handsome fella!
Hard to tell with his being young and all the winter fuzzies, but which color is he? brown dun or red dun?

41 - 60 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.