Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post here!

Today I woke to find that my 3 year cob hadn't touched her hay or water all night, I automatically found this to be odd, and throughout the day her unusual behavior continued. She spent most of her day standing around very still (but not sleeping), alert to sounds but not interested (usually she comes over to investigate), and on a few occasions I found her to be laying down (first time I have witnessed this from her), also she is usually affectionate and encourages stroking/patting but today she was distant and quite a few times backed away when I would go to stroke her. The only times she perked up and would eat and then drink was when I offered her carrots (she really couldn't get enough of them!).

I have only had her for 2 weeks and from the moment she arrived home I have felt like a first time parent (I grew up around horses but she is my first very own), constantly checking and (as said by others) over analyzing every little thing, but right now she is appearing depressed and I am fearing something to really be up.

She is not sweating, her temperature is as it should be, her poop is appearing normal, no stomach swelling, her stomach is making the normal noises, though when peeing she will start then stop then move a little and then pee again, she is up to date on worming, she will eat carrots but is not grazing.

My thoughts are; possible UTI? She has just lost a baby tooth so possible teething? Could she be coming into heat, even though we are heading into November? And my worst fear, colic?

If things don't dramatically brighten up tomorrow I will of course be straight on the phone to a vet, but felt I would like to also hear opinion/advice from other horses owners too.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Have you checked her heart rate, respiration rate and gut sounds? The fact that she has produced feces doesn't rule out colic. So you need to assess as if it is.

Call your vet immediately once you have those numbers and see what he says about what you are seeing.

·
Registered
14,654 Posts
She is not sweating, her temperature is as it should be, her poop is appearing normal, no stomach swelling, her stomach is making the normal noises, though when peeing she will start then stop then move a little and then pee again, she is up to date on worming, she will eat carrots but is not grazing.
Where are you when you're observing her? I ask because she doesn't sound like she's in physical discomfort from what you're writing, so I'm wondering if she's distracted by you or other horses nearby?

I'm guessing she's still in at least a semi-quarantine paddock and not with others? She could be a little depressed over that.

How much/often are you observing and checking her? Is she drinking normally?

Is she interested in her grain but not her hay? What's her pulse like? Does her urine smell strong?

Is she peeing normally or is she lifting her tail and squatting to pee?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your replies!

Just minutes after having made my post I called my vet (never again will I ever consider leaving it a few hours before doing so!).

They left feeling confident that there was nothing seriously wrong with her (she is in great health/shape), and expects the cause of her not being quite herself is due to the recent change up in her diet. We have been left with a probiotic paste to give to her over the next few days, and will be keeping the vet up to date with how she progresses.

If anyone would like me to still answer your questions up above, please let me know as I am happy to do so.

Thank you once again everyone!

·
Registered
964 Posts
You did the right think Loui...being overly concerned and proactive about your horse's health and wellbeing is a good thing, don't ever let anyone tell you it's not.

If it is something serious catching it faster is a good thing when it comes to horses.

Good luck with her and keep us posted!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.