The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today for the first time, I got on Cinny yay. He did well, but...it's clear that I am going to have a bit of an issue with my saddle. It's a nice hunt seat that is well broken in that I just LOVE. When I first put it on it seemed to fit okay and my friend/trainer said it looked right to her. However.....it slid back about 3 to 4 inches during my 1/2 hour ride at a walk.

So the first thing that comes to mind is...a breast collar. BUT, about 5 years ago I lent the saddle to a friends daughter who thought it was cool to hang it in their tack room by one of the Front D's....until the leather attaching that D to the saddle BROKE. Had I known she stored my hunt seat this way, I would have....well, I'm sure you could guess what I would have done, back to subject. Regardless, I can not attach a breast collar to it and well, it will be costly to fix. For some reason I seem to remember some people who had breast collars that attached to the billets, am I remembering wrong?

I am also using a "humane" girth, popular with saddle seat riders.

Do you think this could be causing it since it gives with the horses movement? Do you think changing to a normal girth will fix the sliding issue?

I am starting him out with a basic dressage trainer but I do want to go hunter or jumper, whichever he takes to, and I know that I have to fix that issue of the saddle sliding for that.

Thank you so much for any advice.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Are you sure that the saddle is sliding out of position and not just adjusting to a comfortable place on his conformation? Do you have a picture of before and after the ride so that we can see where exactly the saddle is settling and how much it is moving.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
You can get breastplate D's that attatch to the sturrip bars. That's what everyone in my barn uses because we've had way to many d's break from just being used with a breastplate. They are really cheap too.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure that the saddle is sliding out of position and not just adjusting to a comfortable place on his conformation? Do you have a picture of before and after the ride so that we can see where exactly the saddle is settling and how much it is moving.
I didn't think of that, but it seems like an odd place for the saddle to end up. I will get pictures next time.

But to give you a visual, just before I got off I looked down, and it was an inch behind the withers. I mean I could see the withers, they sloped down to the actual back and THEN there was the saddle.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get breastplate D's that attatch to the sturrip bars. That's what everyone in my barn uses because we've had way to many d's break from just being used with a breastplate. They are really cheap too.
Oh, too cool. I'll have to look for those!!

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Yeah, if the saddle can slip THAT far back and your horse not object to being in some serious pinching pain, I would think it doesn't fit very well.

I didn't know that Ice's previous saddle didn't fit him till we started trotting....It looked fine at the walk, but my bouncing up and down made the pommel come down on his withers.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Or the horse just has a back that causes a saddle to slip..... I would get a saddle fitter out. They also make no-slip pads. Here is a pic of breastplate dees. You can get them just about any english tack store. I've gotten them from Bit of Britian and Dover.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Let's see some pictures of the saddle on your horse, no pad, lightly girthed. It may not fit as well as you think it does. Pictures from the side, 3/4 front angle (showing the WHOLE saddle and horse's shoulder), and a rear shot showing how the panels sit on the horse's back.

Generally, if the saddle slides back it's because of a fit issue and/or the saddle was placed too far forward over the shoulders. The movement of the shoulders can push the saddle back on the horse.

If it fits well, then I'd look in to a Nunn Finer no-slip pad. Like this one:
Nunn Finer No Slip Saddle Pad: Legacy Tack

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
If you use a breastcollar on a saddle that slips that far back from its original position, it can be painful and/or restrictive on the front of a horse. Breastcollars are really there to prevent slipping of the saddle when the horse is doing something above and beyond "normal", such as cross country jumping or going up some major hills on the trail.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you use a breastcollar on a saddle that slips that far back from its original position, it can be painful and/or restrictive on the front of a horse. Breastcollars are really there to prevent slipping of the saddle when the horse is doing something above and beyond "normal", such as cross country jumping or going up some major hills on the trail.
I'll keep this in mind, and I'll get pictures next time I go out.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let's see some pictures of the saddle on your horse, no pad, lightly girthed. It may not fit as well as you think it does. Pictures from the side, 3/4 front angle (showing the WHOLE saddle and horse's shoulder), and a rear shot showing how the panels sit on the horse's back.

Generally, if the saddle slides back it's because of a fit issue and/or the saddle was placed too far forward over the shoulders. The movement of the shoulders can push the saddle back on the horse.

If it fits well, then I'd look in to a Nunn Finer no-slip pad. Like this one:
Nunn Finer No Slip Saddle Pad: Legacy Tack
Okay, before ride...this is about whee I set it when I girth him up

Okay, and after my ride today. I know...it's a dressage pad...so it makes it hard to tell. Today we did walk, posting trot and crowhop. It didn't really slide bad today so maybe I didn't tighten him properly before. Does it look like the saddle doesn't fit?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I dont really know enough to actually give advice on the fit of the saddle... but after the ride it looks in the perfect position. I think its just to far forward when you first put it on, then it slides back into the correct place after. but i ride dressage, so jumping saddles are kinda out of my league ;) but in the first pics it looks like the saddle is to far forward on his shoulders. :) but im just saying what i see, i dont actually know that much about jumping saddles.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh, maybe that's it. And I forgot to note...sorry he's standing WONKY, it's where our grooming/saddling area is where I have him. He moves on Tuesday, yay.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I am kinda in the same boat as ridergirl. Since I ride western, I am not terribly familiar with exactly where an english saddle should be but I also agree with her. It looks a little too far forward in the first pic. I bet as the ride goes along, the movement of his shoulders is moving the saddle back to a place that is right on his confo. But then again, some of the english riders will be able to tell you better whether it is in the correct position or if it fits. :D

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
In addition to what everyone else has said; I consider elastic end girths to be more comfortable for the horse and a lot easier to tighten from the saddle.

I particularly like the newer neoprene ones with elastic at both ends.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Its definately waaay too far forward. Honestly it still looks a bit too far forward in the after pics as well. I should sit behind his shoulder blades, not on top of them restricting movement.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, it's just me. It has been SOOOOOOO LOOOOOONNGGGG since I have owned a horse, saddled a horse, etc etc so I really appreciate everyone's info. There are so many things that seem like I am remembering them right when I am clearly remembering them wrong.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Your saddle is too far forward and too narrow for your horse. The front edge of the pannel should be behind the back edge of the horse's shoulder blade. The angle of the tree appears to be too steap for your horse's shoulder angle as well. I think you need to do some saddle shopping...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.