Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding liability and assumed risk...

I’ve been working for the past year for a carriage company. “On the job” I’ve mostly been a groom, but I’ve been driving single and team around the farm, road, and occasionally on the job. My boss is essentially been prepping me to help work Christmas season where we do rides through the city. For those who don’t know, I’m no stranger to horses. I’ve managed barns, taught therapeutic riding, I’ve driven before, ride/shown in multiple disciplines and this fall I finally broke out my own horse (who I’m mighty proud of!).

Next weekend I cleared my schedule to help my bosses friend doing wagon rides at a festival. Originally, as far as I know, my boss was supposed to be helping out as well. Well, turns out she’s not. She also tells me this guy has no liability insurance... :? Luckily my friend did agree to coming for the first couple runs in the morning to get me settled. The route is down and back a flat quiet country road, not through or around the festival.

I was going to look into getting my own coverage, but my state, Pennsylvania, is an assumed risk state. With proper signage (which I could bring if need be) would that cover me heaven forbid something we’re to happen?

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
This varies so much state-to-state. I would contact a lawyer, preferably one that deals with horse liability in your state.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Whoever is running the program at minimum needs to state who is responsible. You need to ask "if a horse injures someone or their property... who is liable?" If the carriage or horse is injured, who is liable? If you don't know the answer to these... personally I don't want that bill. I don't care how much of a favour it is that is just too big a responsibility for my liking but being a Londoner everyone is trying to sue everyone around here :'< You need to check with a professional don't rely on internet strangers for something like this ;)

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trust me, I’m not solely relying on internet advice. More asking about anyone who has a better idea of the assumed risk laws in my state. I did get the name of my friends insurance company and I do plan to call tomorrow. I’ll also see if they can refer me to someone who practices equine law.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in California, please, go to court for everything. Even here if you are working for someone you wil not be held responsible

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.