The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear has gained some weight (though he isnt filled out yet) since the last time I asked for any critique, so I thought it would be fun to get an nice and easy critique from you guys! I wont ask for a full out, full blown critique until he is filled out and such. So I guess just give a simple critique covering the basics please. =]

Background and what I want to do with him:
17.2hh (roughly, probably a bit smaller) Thoroughbred (dont know his lines as I dont have his papers) gelding. Used to be a 3' "A" hunter. Going to be a 2'6"-2'9" horse probably, unless he is schooling those heights with ease, then I will bump him back up to 3'. Hoping to do some smaller, local, "B" shows and lots of schooling shows. Hoping to get him up to 1st level dressage in a year or two (only schooling, might show intro (probably going to do) and training). Will be doing HUS and such too. Maybe some 4-H..? Someone said I should do eventing with him, but I dont think him or I could handle cross country (I am setting up a small "xc" course in my field this summer to find out). He is alright at western, but needs work as he is SO big. He is going to need a lot of work, but it will be worth it!

Pictures (these were the best I could get):

Picture 183.jpg

Picture 184.jpg

Picture 185.jpg

Picture 186.jpg

Picture 187.jpg

Picture 192.jpg

Picture 205.jpg
^^ Just cause he is cute. =]

Do you guys think he looks sway backed? He doesnt look that sway backed to me, but someone said he did. "/ I think he just has super high withers. ;]

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please note that he was standing really funny in these pictures! He was standing funny on all four legs. :p

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
He does have really high withers, no sway. He is over at the knee in the front and his legs look a little wired in the back(don't know how to describe it). He is a beautiful boy!

He doesn't look as grumpy as you say he is in the pics, just adorable... ok maybe a little grumpy lol

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Agree with you and Honeysuga. No sway, just sharkfin withers :D. He is over at the knee and toes out severly on the right front and slightly on the left front. He is bandy legged on the back (bow-legged) and a bit sickle hocked. His shoulder is steep and it looks like he has a mild roach back. You're having a hard time getting muscle on him, aren't you? LOL. He doesn't look terribly grumpy in the pix, just bored. :D

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
he is a little over the knee and his back legs are a little behind but no matter, hes a beautiful horsey :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you guys! I love my beast.
I am looking forward to everything about our first bareback ride BUT his withers. LOL! he does walk funny, but I think its just because he is so big and him sure his back has been out for a while (was a lesson horse for kids learning to jump. *sigh*). And yes, he does have a slightly rouched back, his is more of a hunter bump though. I am going to try and fix it.
Yes, he is very over at the knee. It has actually gotten better since I got him (I know, sad; ill attach a picture). He was def. toeing out more in that picture then ne normally does, but he does toe out. Do you think my farrier might be able to do some work to fix it? I dont think it is really bothering him, so I dont want to mess with his legs/feet right before show season and have him go lame AGAIN! ;]

smrobs:
It isnt really that I am having a hard time getting muscle on him, it is just that he has been lame 3 out of the 5 1/2 months I have had him. -.- First it was a BAD farrier messing him up, so that was 2 months off. Then I got four rides back and he got Mud Fever. Now he is pretty much better from that, but now his entire body is out. *sigh* Of, well, im not giving up. The chiro is coming out today!! :D

This was the first day I met him:
Picture 141.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.