The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, as I watched a kid go down a hill on a plastic saucer I realize it was perfect for watering in freezing weather. It holds about two gallons of water and is large enough for two to drink from at the same time. If more water is needed, more is added. Whatever is left is tipped out and the saucer is removed for the next time. I water three times daily so there's no need to leave water (ice) in between times. Cost me 6 bucks.

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
It's also easy to tip and plastic gets brittle in the cold. My horses would have that destroyed in 6 seconds flat.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like plastic kitty litter pans from the dollar store for the same purpose. Harder to tip, cheaper at $3 and they hold a nice amount of water for watering my two a few times a day in the winter.

I spoiled myself this year though with a tank warmer. Being pregnant and hauling water was not working lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The horses don't paw or play with it because I'm standing there waiting to see if they need more. As soon as they are done, within 5 min. the pan is removed. This thing was made for cold weather. If it lasts only the winter so be it but for $6 it's sure making watering a lot easier. No trying to dump ice out of heavy rubber tubs.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Wait, so your horses don't have 24/7 access to water? Did I misread that?

Reactions: stevenson

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My horses have 16 gallon heated water tubs, and drink between 10-12 gallons a day - I love watching the steam come out of them, I think the warm water keeps them drinking... a real concern here when the temps don't get above freezing for a few days at a time. I can't imagine not having the heated buckets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.