The Horse Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Honestly with respect to training it seems like you're doing all the work anyways. It sounds like you've done a really good job so far, too. Hopefully this new place will be better.

Also she looks much better!

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Super Moderator
11,694 Posts
This is from their website and explains pretty well why you are seeing what you see. As a 4 year old, sold as a Percheron/QH cross with her looks and color (bay going grey) that is not out of the question. With their explanation and those results a believable cross since it also isnt out of the question to see Welsh as a third in a full QH. They have to report three breeds and with any full you'll see the other two and go ???. But horses are all so closely related and they are only giving you probabilities of most likely ancestry. Not close up crosses.

In two or three years she will bulk up and fill out and you"ll see another inch or two in height and what she was sold to you as will make sense.

"We then report the three breeds with the highest probability that the subject horse could have come from the breed in order of their probability of being an ancestral breed. The results cannot give the proportion (percent) of the breed that the subject horse may have. That really isn’t possible because horses are so genetically similar. The test is reasonably good but there is no way to determine how accurate it is. If a purebred horse is tested it will almost always be assigned to the correct breed. When a two breed cross is examined, the two parental breeds will almost certainly be given very high probabilities although not necessarily the 1st and 2nd assignments. The more breeds involved in a cross the lower the probability that a good result will be delivered. Also, understand that even though three breeds are reported that does not mean the subject horse has all three in its ancestry. Another point is that breeds within a group of related breeds will be given similar probabilities. Thus, the subject horse may be half Belgian draft and half Suffolk but the test results may show Percheron or even a pony breed. That is because these draft breeds are very similar at the level we can test and the true pony breeds are closely related to the heavy draft breeds."

Looking forward to reading more of your journey and pictures of your girl.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well I just finished the journal! Lillith is soo cute! :love: You have done such a great job with her! I love all the pictures, and you seem to be just the person Lillith needed! She is so lucky someone like you came in to her life in a time of need! Keep doing what you're doing!

·
Registered
119 Posts
:( sorry about the trainer/s it sounds like you didn't get what you paid for. I think i live relatively nearby if you got the horse from cleburne and your profile says fort worth. My lesson teacher has had a few started for her by local trainers if your new trainer doesn't work out. She sent off a very anxious kill pen horse she purchased and in 45 days got back a ridable (for her) green broke horse and is finishing his training herself.

I hope your new place works out.

Also based off of your horse's face i can really see the belgium, so i don't find the DNA surprising.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited by Moderator)
Lilith was transported off the former trainers property on Saturday, and has been thriving so far at her new location! It's a completely different atmosphere at this new location. I didn't know I felt like I was suffocating until showing up at this new place. They've been in the business for decades, and have experienced/dealt with almost everything.

I was a little timid at first on Saturday because to my knowledge Lilith had only ever been on a trailer three times (going to kill lot, getting picked up from kill lot, being delivered to the trainers property). Low and behold my diamond in the ruff horse just WENT IN the trailer without any issues, AND she had a man lead her in. LIKE WHAT?! That was a truly proud moment for me.

My husbands horse, a seven year old buckskin that we purchased from these trainer people, was supposed to be the easiest loader. We were told he had no issues or vices being loaded up into a trailer. Thirty minutes later we got him in. That was embarrassing to me. So after that incident I began to suspect everything they had ever told us about this horse was a lie. It didn't help they also couldn't provide his medical documentation like Coggins and Vaccination records for this new facility so he was going to have to be isolated.

We came back to the facility around 3pm after they were given time to settle in. This gave us a chance to drive to Elkhart, TX and visit the Elkhart Horse Auction facility where I had won a saddle the Saturday before. When we got back to the facility they had moved Billy around, and was taking our word that he was up to date on his vaccinations and coggins test (and they would have the Vet come out Thursday and still take care of him all the same). Billy was now placed next to Lilith because he was throwing a FIT in his isolation stall, and apparently once they put him next to Lilith he calmed tf down. I already knew this horse had no manners, but geez. It's just sad to know that I can't believe anything they told me about that horse, and it's just upsetting.

We took the babies from their stall, and gave them a chance to stretch their legs and get an idea of their new surroundings. This places is on a couple hundred acres of land, and has a beautiful indoor arena, outdoor arena, trails with creeks, etc. It was fun to watch them both get a feel for their new home, and to be honest, I think this was the first time Lilith had ever been out in the "woods" per say with actual trees with swinging limbs, crinkled up grass, wildlife, and even fresh grass. She was loving it all. We went back on Sunday, and did our walk around with the property, and even though Sunday was this facilities day off from working (except for feeding and watering the horses), the manager of the facility still came out to say hello and allowed us access to her trailer for training. (Oh, I don't think I mentioned it, but everyone lives on property at this facility; owners, manager, horse trainer, farm hands, etc).

Anyways this is Lilith checking out her new digs. Her stall is definitely a lot larger than her previous one AND this one comes with a window, ha-ha. She seems very at ease with the transition, and I'm glad to see that she's not anxious at all. We're going to go today to visit them, and since they are a lot closer I'm going to try to get back into our every other day routine instead of every weekend like we've had to do since the Winter times.

As for the previous trainers they have no made any effort in my refund request, until today after I mentioned legal action in Small Claims court. They've offered to do payment plans on half of the training amount, and refund half of it back - but that just isn't going to cut it for me. Before we left I took a photo of the training board and it showed Lilith was at 92 days of training. That's 92 DAYS of GROUNDWORK training. I'm beyond frustrating, and am looking forward to putting this behind me in the near future.

Thank you to all who have been following our journey on here.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yay! I'm so glad you found this new place! It sound amazing, and Lillith looks sooo relaxed!

Reactions: LilithK

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I've also learned to discount pretty much anything a seller says. Sad but true. I'm glad you eventually got them both moved OK. Lilith is really a gem.

·
Registered
48,847 Posts
Sorry you are having so much trouble getting your money back.
Lilith is really pretty, and perhaps she has more training than they said at the kill pen auction. the new facility looks really nice.

Just wanted to mention one thing; an Irish Sport Horse is not just a mix of any draft and a non-draft. It's a mix of an Irish Draught (draft) and a thoroughbred or some thoroughbred-like horse (can be a warmblood, or a trakenher, or Selle Francais )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lilith is really pretty, and perhaps she has more training than they said at the kill pen auction.
Her ad said that she was originally halter broke, and just needed a refresher. She had zero training. Completely green.

When she arrived at this training place you could not get near her. She wanted nothing to do with anyone. Not halter broke at all. She's come along way thanks to a lot of time and patience on my end. The former trainers told me I had been making their job easier because I was an owner who'd come out almost every other day and work their horse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good to hear the horses are in a much better place! I've never heard of paying for 90 days of groundwork before.
It was originally 180 days of training, and only got to 92 days total. No one has ever heard of 90 days of groundwork. It's not a thing, and I was just getting toyed around by those people it seems 😅

21 - 32 of 32 Posts