The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I’m about to go look at a apHC mare but I was looking at her papers and looks like there’s some line breeding going on, do you think this is bad, she is a beautiful horse and the lady showed me her full brother and he does showing and roping and is doing fine with it. What do you guys think. Heres her dam and sires papers
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,601 Posts
Prince Plaudit was to the Appaloosa like Doc Bar to the Quarter Horse.

You have plenty in this horse. If you were to breed her, I would choose a horse without any. But for the mare, I think she's fine. Its not that much on either side, and not up close.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prince Plaudit was to the Appaloosa like Doc Bar to the Quarter Horse.

You have plenty in this horse. If you were to breed her, I would choose a horse without any. But for the mare, I think she's fine. Its not that much on either side, and not up close.
Thx! I was mostly talking about the half brother half sister breeding, idk if you saw that or not.

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,601 Posts
I did some half bro to half sister breeding. It's typically done when you want to see if there is anything bad in the mix. The bad will come out way before the good.
I bred 5 mares that way. I have to admit, I was pleased with all 5 of the resulting foals.

If you like the mare, that would not stop me from buying her.
Here's one of my half bro to half sis crosses, I liked her so well, I kept h er for my own use. In fact, I kept all 4 of the fillies for my own use. They were that good. This is her with her colt by a son of Reminic. He was the first colt sold that year.
Horse Ecoregion Natural environment Liver Working animal

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
Looks like it is a cross already done by a/that breeder. Perhaps you could track him down or find records to see how he performed. By percentages they'd be closer than half siblings.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
It does look like a little bit of inbreeding there along with the line breeding. If there mare is nice I would get her. I would not breed her to any stallion with any of that lineage. I had an appy mare, I called Misty, That was very inbred and was going blind at an early age. I was given her papers after I got her. Her reg name was Too Much (and then the sires name) . I traded her for a quarter mare as the appy would have never made a trail horse. I wish I had been rich enough to keep her. I think she ended up on the wrong truck..:(. This was years ago . Years and years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts