The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen people using lip straps on Pelham's. And I have heard many things about what they can do. from keeping the curb chain down, to keeping the horse from chewing the shanks.
I have also heard about horses that chew the shank rings, have in some cases, gotten their incisors stuck on them.
So, what are the uses for the lip strap? and should I use one on my Pelham?

Heres a pictures of a lip strap:

Thanks!
PLEASE help!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my gelding chews on the shank rings, and i don't want his teeth to get caught on them, that's why im asking

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
A lip strap is actually to stop the curb chain being lost. That's it.

If you have a chain that can be lifted off the hooks both sides, then really you need a lip strap. However a lot of imported curb bits have the chain fixed on one side by the simple (if really annoying) expedient of squeezing the hook closed. If you've got one of these and you can adjust the chain comfortably on the free side without having loads of links spare, then you don't really need a strap.

Unless you're in a showing class, of course, when the strap is correct.

With Pelhams the chain almost always lifts out of the curb groove onto the lower jaw bones when you use both reins together and the strap might help keep the chain in the correct place, but I doubt it. I'm afraid it won't help if your horse grabs a ring, either :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.